Friday, September 29, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 09/28/17: The Basement, Wandering Parcel and Wandering Dogs, Back to Radio Brewing

1. The Deke and I worked at a decidedly leisurely pace today as we started to figure out how we are going to occupy the space in our house. We decided a few weeks ago that we'd like to have everything related to our clothing be in the basement. The washer and dryer are down there. So is the ironing board. There's a shower in the basement. So, we took our clothes to the room down there and established the purpose of one room in the house.

2. We had ten boxes shipped to Kellogg from Greenbelt. About seven of the boxes had smaller boxes packed in them.  On Wednesday, three of the boxes arrived and today six more -- one was missing. I called FedEx and filed a disputed delivery report and a representative from FedEx called me back within the hour to report that they had made two bulk deliveries in Kellogg and our missing box was accidentally delivered to the other address. The representative hopes a driver will be able to pick up the wandering parcel on Friday and bring it to us, but it might not happen until Monday. In a perfect world, I'd know who received our parcel and go get it myself, but privacy concerns kept the representative from telling me who got our box.  Fair enough.

This parcel wasn't the only happy wanderer today. On the west side of the house there's a gate that opens to the backyard. It's a difficult gate to open. I know I have rarely used it over the years, but maybe others have used it more often.  Well, someone used it recently and didn't close it all the way and as the Deke was playing her guitar in the living room and I was working in the kitchen, I realized that Maggie and Charly were not in the back yard.

Maggie and Charly on the loose is the subject of my worst waking nightmares.

I dashed to the front of the house. No dogs in sight.

I alerted the Deke to the fact that the dogs were on the loose.

I decided to walk west.

Two houses down, Maggie and Charly suddenly appeared from the side of the Douglas house.

They were nonchalant. The Deke had grabbed their leashes and Charly immediately trotted over to the Deke. One dog secure.  Maggie is always more independently minded than Charly and was doubly nonchalant about returning home -- but she did.

My waking nightmare came to a happy end.

Now if that box will just come home.

3.  The Deke and I haven't quite set up the kitchen yet. I haven't shopped for groceries yet. That will be a Friday task.  So, we headed to Radio Brewing around 5:30 and each enjoyed a glass of X Minus Zero IPA. I don't like IPAs with food. We waited until we finished our beer and the Deke ordered Korean tacos and I ordered a brat with an orzo salad. I do like lager and pilsner beers with food, however, and Radio Brewing just brought on their Oktoberfest beer.  Perfect.  I loved the beer and it worked beautifully with my food. The Deke continued making friends with Paige. They talked a bunch about knitting and we had a good time with Andrew, our server.

Christy invited us to join her and Everett for a nightcap. It was a great evening with a lot of conversation about Mom and next Friday's service, among other things.  It looks like things are shaping up very well for the service and I'll feel even better about it as I carve out time to write the eulogy I'll be giving.  A lot of it is in my head, but I need to get it written down.

No comments: