Friday, August 3, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 08/02/18: Baseball and Writing, Green Curry with Beef, Aimless Yakkin'

1. It was fun having my free baseball game on MLB.TV come on at 11 o'clock this morning. I turned on the game, featuring the Royals and the White Sox, but I didn't watch it closely. It provided old familiar sounds of the murmurings and cheers of the crowd, the crack of the bat when players hit the ball, and the drone of the broadcasters' voices. With these sounds in the background, I wrote out an essay in response to one of the three sibling assignments we have on the table. I wrote about my old love relationship with Whitworth College as a student, campus ministry employee, and instructor. It was one of the best romances of my life and I enjoyed remembering how much I loved Whitworth from 1974-84.  When all three of us siblings finish our assignments, we'll post them together.

As far as the game goes, I loved it when Chicago's Dan Paulka slammed a three run pinch it homer in the bottom of the eighth. It was his third pinch hit round tripper of the season. The last ChiSox player to hit three pinch hit homer in a season? The late nearly great Oscar Gamble, one of my very favorite almost great major league baseball players from 1969-85. Oscar Gamble blasted those three pinch hit dingers in 1977.

2. It was slightly cooler today and so the Deke and I decided that it would be all right to do some cooking in the kitchen. I hadn't made any curry for a long time and so I bought nearly a pound of tri tip pieces at Yoke's, fried them up with garlic and ginger, and folded them into a green curry I made with paste, ginger, garlic, onion, coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar. I added broccoli crowns to the curry and let it simmer while I iced Christy's knee. The Deke cooked up some jasmine rice and we agreed: the curry was nearly perfect. It had heat, but the heat wasn't overpowering. I put in an excellent amount of sugar and the fish sauce and soy sauce deepened the sauce and the ginger and garlic and onion added to the layers of flavor. We hadn't had rice for several months and we loved our return to eating a fine curry and rice dinner.

3. I loved how cool it was this evening on the deck. I enjoyed a couple of rum and cokes with a ton of lemon and the Deke and I chatted aimlessly and enjoyed the refreshing mountain air. When she took a call from Laura in Eugene, I retired to the television room and watched part 2 of the Alton Brown Challenge on Chopped. As always, I couldn't help but think that if I'd been confronted with the baskets they had to work with, I would have been toast.

No comments: