Saturday, August 18, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 08/17/18: Sprinkler System Repair, Lunch with Linda and Wayne, Beer Club and the Lounge

1. Mom had an automatic sprinkler system installed several years ago in the front and back yards and, a while back, Paul helped me get the system started and discovered water pooling up where all the valves are located underground. Today, a man from Artscape came out and fixed the leak and got the system running again, a great relief, especially because we will be gone for a little over a week starting on Monday.

2. When I worked at LCC, I became very good friends with our division coordinator Linda Schantol. Yesterday, I received a message from Linda asking me if I'd be in town today so that she, her husband, Wayne, and I could have lunch. I arranged for us to meet at Best Shots -- they are high level sports fans and I thought they'd enjoy the way Best Shots is decorated with Gonzaga basketball wallpaper and other sports related stuff. We had a great lunch together and yakked about the Ducks' upcoming football season, about people from LCC we know in common, the vacation she and Wayne are on, the Deke's new job, and life in Kellogg and Eugene. I loved seeing Linda and Wayne and it was particularly fun to host Eugene friends in Kellogg. A year ago the Deke's bandmate, Laura, visited us in Kellogg and this was the first time one of my Eugene friends visited. It got me very excited.

3. This afternoon's Beer Club was epic. I had bought a box of all kinds of beers brewed in Oregon when we were in Eugene. Among others, I bought beer from Block 15, Ft. George, Breakside, and Deschutes and we sampled a milk shake IPA (not from Oregon), a brut IPA, Ft. George's 3-Way IPA, the Black Butte Porter XXXth Anniversary special release, and a hazelnutty and creamy Imperial Stout from Breakside. Rod and Patti brought an IPA from Breakside and a bottle of Ninkasi's Vanilla Oatis.  It was a great crowd tonight: Shawn, Teresa, Christy, Rod, Patti, the Deke, and I enjoyed drinking 4-6 oz pours of these beers while munching on Hoody peanuts, pretzel buns with lox and cream cheese, vegetable slices and a killer dip that Teresa made, and other things.

It was really fun to have IPAs in the house that were balanced and not so bitter and that some in our party who didn't like IPAs before really enjoyed.

Christy, Everett, Patti, Rod, the Deke and I went uptown later and met at the Inland Lounge where we got together with Jake and Carol Lee and later with Harley and Candy. Toward the end of the night we met a couple from Spokane, Bob and Sarah, who were in town for today's Beer Festival at Silver Mountain and had a great time yakkin' with them.

After having so much fun visiting friends in Eugene, it was really fun to come home to such a great Beer Club night and a great time at the Lounge with friends in Kellogg. It was epic.

No comments: