Friday, August 10, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 08/09/18: Dave Robicheaux at Parker Subaru, Galacticus IPA, Mookie Betts

1. I went to Parker Subaru today so that their service department could replace the recalled air bag on the passenger side. I also had a CV boot replaced and the Sube washed and vacuumed. I was in the shop's waiting area for about three and a half hours, but the time flew by as I got absorbed in James Lee Burke's novel, The Neon Rain, his first Dave Robicheaux story. My first indelible impression of Dave Robicheaux is that he's a survivor: he's a Vietnam vet, a recovering alcoholic, a divorcee, and one of those fictional detectives who seems to get into the worst possible messes and threats to his life and always escapes. Wondering how he will escape the terrible fixes he gets in almost supersedes my interest in the case he's working on.

2. After the car was done, I ducked into Suds and Smokes and picked up some beer for Beer Club. When I returned home, I wanted to relax after dealing with the Sube and so I cracked open a 16 oz can of Three Magnets Brewing's tasty IPA Galacticus, a gift from Darren Hanson. I don't know if Three Magnets presents this beer as a hazy IPA, but it sure came out of the can hazy and the Deke and I split it. We both enjoyed this beer a lot for its juiciness and its perfect touch of bitterness.

3. I witnessed a baseball rarity tonight during the Red Sox/Blue Jay game. Boston's Mookie Betts hit for the cycle, but Boston's pitchers seemed a bit off and Toronto won the game, 8-5. If you aren't much of a baseball fan, when a player, in the same game, hits a single, double, triple, and home run that feat is known as hitting for the cycle.

No comments: