Friday, August 24, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 08/23/18: Melissa's in NJ and NY, Charming Airbnb, Pizza Party

1. After lounging around at Sally's, eating some oatmeal, drinking some coffee, reading some news, I cleaned up and, soon after two o'clock, the Deke and I hit the road for Newark Liberty International Airport and arrived very shortly before Melissa magically appeared. She climbed in our rental car and we were off for Piermont and Nyack, NY.

2. We arrived at the Airbnb we are renting from Carol, friendly woman about our age, who lives in a lovely old house at the end of a quiet and private wooded street overlooking the Hudson River. I'm not sure who all is living here right now. Two granddaughters were visiting. She mentioned, I think, a son who works at a restaurant and lives here. I'll probably learn more as our stay continues. The Deke and I have one room with a couch and chair and double bed and Melissa has another room. If the trees weren't so leafy, we could see the Hudson River. It's a charming location. It looks like we really lucked out.

3. Soon we headed to Adrienne and Josh's apartment and met up with Molly, Olivia, David, and Anna and with Jack. Adrienne and Jack were out to dinner with Josh's father and his wife (Josh's stepmother). Molly ordered pizzas and salads. John and Patrick arrived. Then the pizzas came. We dove into our dinner and soon Adrienne returned, followed by Josh. Adrienne and Josh will be moving out of this apartment into their new home on Monday. I have many fond memories of the trips the Deke and I used to make from Greenbelt, MD to Nyack and we always stayed in this apartment. Memories of driving from Nyack to Cooperstown, Nyack to Middleboro, MA and Cape Cod, Nyack to Yankee Stadium, and Nyack to Manhattan and of train rides into Manhattan all came back to me. It was always fun to be with Jack and Adrienne in this place, to knock around Nyack and Nanuet and Pearl River, and I've missed it since we moved to Kellogg. I feel very fortunate that we got to return for this wedding weekend and a little beyond.

No comments: