Saturday, November 3, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 11/02/18: Monty Python Documentary, Yakkin' at Hill Street Depot, Back to *Inspector Lewis*

1. I took care of some more health related business this morning and I returned home, tired of dealing with health related business and wanted to try to move my mind, thoughts, and feelings in a different direction so I browsed Netflix and stumbled upon a six part documentary series called, Monty Python's Almost the Truth. Over the last few months, I have wondered if one of my television channels might show reruns of Monty Python's Flying Circus. (No success there, yet.) I figured this documentary might be fun -- and it was, especially when the boys talked about the thinking that informed their work and their predecessors who inspired them. The documentary also featured passages from all of Monty Python's work from Flying Circus to The Meaning of Life and helped satisfy the yearning I've had to watch their stuff. I enjoyed these nearly six hours absorbed in Monty Python absurdism and surrealism and I was surprised by how nostalgic I am about Monty Python.

2. Parked in front of the television, eating the last bowl of the creamy seafood chowder I made on Wednesday, and enjoying a plunge into the history of The Life of Brian, I answered a call from Ed and he popped by about 40 minutes later and we headed uptown, only to discover that the Lounge is closed this weekend thanks to sidewalk construction going on in front of the joint. Slowly, we recovered from our disappointment and headed down to the Hill St. Depot and I had a rum and ginger beer and lime and Ed had a beer and we yakked for a while and got to see Val, Sara, Becky, Ashley, Fred, and Fitz. Val and Ed know each other from the days when both were working around the Crescent Mine and Fitz dropped by our table to see how Sube II was doing and I reported that it got the Deke to Eugene just fine.

3. Back home, I watched the sixth part of the Monty Python documentary. Afterward, I started having flashbacks to our apartment home in Greenbelt, MD and how much I enjoyed watching episodes of Inspector Lewis and drinking weak pints of brandy and hot water with cloves. I don't have brandy on hand, but I did check Amazon Prime Videos to see what was available in the world of Inspector Lewis. Well, to my delight, season 8 is available -- Hathaway is back from an extended leave and is now in charge, he has a strained relationship with his partner, Maddox, and Lewis is retired and is living with Dr. Laura Hobson.  But, in episode 1 of Season 8, Lewis comes out retirement because the police force is short-handed and Hathaway, Maddox, Hobson, and Lewis go to work on a puzzling murder case involving a neurosurgeon, a farm, animal rights activism, and some complicated relationships. I loved being back in this world again -- even without the brandy.

No comments: