Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 11/05/18: Cleaning Up, *Moonlight*, Poker Thrills

1. I'd done one load of dishes Sunday night after family dinner, but this morning I had plenty more dishes to clean and a well-used kitchen to freshen up. I got that done.

2.  I settled in this afternoon with the movie, Moonlight, which tells the story of a boy growing into adulthood. He is a boy and teenager in the Liberty City neighborhood of Miami and moves to Atlanta in his twenties. The movie transported me into the brutal beauty of the Liberty City projects and Miami's Atlantic Ocean beaches and seascape.  The movie explores the impact of drug addiction and physical and mental violence on the story's featured character, Chiron, but also the tenderness and caring present in his world. It's a complicated, deeply personal story. It's beautifully filmed. The acting is sublime. I especially admired all the silent acting by the boy, the young man, and the adult who played the three Chirons. Chiron is a very quiet character, requiring each actor to convey emotions and thoughts more physically than verbally with his eyes, gestures, facial expressions, and gait.

3. On PlutoTV this evening I caught a replay of the final table of the 2005 WPT Grand Prix de Paris which, in the end, featured a scintillating heads up match between the nearly silent Surinder Sunar and the Australian gas bag, the non-stop trash talker, Tony G. I won't disclose who won, in case you've never seen this, but the match featured dizzying swings of fortune, multiple twists and turns, and, aside from Tony G getting on my nerves, was very entertaining.

No comments: