Sunday, November 25, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 11/24/18: Snow in the Valley, Prepping for Family Dinner, Allman Brothers Band

1. The Silver Valley woke up to a snowfall. Here in Kellogg, the snow wasn't too deep, but out in Kingston, Ed got over four inches at his house and his power was out until the middle of the afternoon. Up on the hill where he lives near State Line, Stu got over ten inches. Ed, Stu, and I had planned to meet at Old European, in Post Falls, for breakfast, but we postponed and will try again Sunday morning, probably in Coeur d'Alene.

2. With the day free, I got to work on planning and shopping for Sunday's family dinner. As the day progressed, I sprang into the Sube and drove through the slush to Yoke's to buy the groceries I needed,  worked for about four hours or so to thaw out a turkey breast, changing the water every half an hour, baked two sweet potatoes and made sweet potato cornbread muffins, finished making and straining the turkey stock from the Thanksgiving carcass, made a salad a day ahead of time, and tried to keep the kitchen half way cleaned up. And, that's just what it was when I went to bed: about half way cleaned up.  Doing all this meal planning, food preparation, and clean up was a lot of fun and I think I'm pretty well set up to finish getting dinner ready with more cooking on Sunday afternoon.

3. While I got things going in the kitchen, I listened to two of the best albums ever made, both by the Allman Brothers Band: Eat a Peach and At Fillmore East. Time and time again I marveled at  their extended jams, especially at how lead guitarists Dickie Betts and Duane Allman played harmonic dual leads, complimentary patterns of point and counterpoint, and blazing solos.

No comments: