Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 11/13/18: Errands, Transplant Update, Tofu Stew

1. After I went uptown and did some banking, I dropped in at Yoke's, hoping to get some shots. I was one third successful. The nation is currently experiencing a Shingrix shortage so I am on a list for that shot. I must wait until I turn 65 on Dec. 27th for my pneumonia shot -- so I already know what one birthday present will be! My success? I did get a flu shot. I also shopped at Yoke's and I have almost everything I need to make my contributions to Thanksgiving dinner next week when I'll be making cornbread sausage dressing, roasting the turkey (Christy gave me the turkey today), and making the gravy.

2. Two weeks ago today, transplant coordinator, Nurse Sheri Sapone told me that I would hear back from her in two weeks regarding my status on getting listed at Sacred Heart for a kidney transplant. Because of all that sulfur dioxide and mineral dust I inhaled when I was injured at the Zinc Plant in 1973 and because I contracted a bout of bacterial pneumonia in 2009, the transplant program wants me to see a pulmonary doctor. Nurse Sapone is working on finding me someone to see. I might also need to have a cardio stress test, but we are hoping the one I took in May of 2017 will suffice. Lastly, Sacred Heart wants records from the Univ. of Maryland and that transplant center has been slow to respond. Nurse Sapone was pleased that I had my dental work taken care of, told me where at Sacred Heart to send my new insurance information, and she was happy that I was on top of my vaccination regime -- but, it's possible that I'll also need to have a Hepatitis B shot.

So, I'm not listed at Sacred Heart just yet, but neither do the tasks ahead of me seem insurmountable.

Patience.

3. I consulted my handy cookbook, American Wholefoods Cuisine, in search of a fun looking way to use some tofu. I decided to make Nikki and David Goldbeck's version of Portuguese Stew. Ed gave me a bag of potatoes from the box he bought from Buff -- it was a Rotary fundraiser -- and I peeled a couple of them, cut them in chunks and steamed them until they were tender. Then I sauteed some garlic in hot oil in the Dutch oven, discarded the garlic when it was brown, and replaced it with chopped onion and sliced red peppers. When the onion was soft, I added in a couple cans of diced tomatoes, the tender steamed potatoes chopped up some more, and the cubed tofu I had been draining.

I seasoned the stew with salt, pepper, a bay leaf, wine vinegar, and paprika. Once it was all warmed through, I had a hearty dinner for a chilly November evening. If I make this again, I will season the potatoes after I steam them, maybe just with pepper. I thought the unseasoned potatoes and the tofu combined to give the stew a little too much blandness. I boosted the flavor by pouring a bag of frozen spinach in the stew.  In the bowl, I added more black pepper and, when I had seconds, I topped the stew with plain yogurt, a very good move. When I have more of this on Wednesday, I'll add sour cream to it and see how that works. Later, I thought some kind of beans, like pinto or kidney, would taste good in this meal and I might pick some up and put them in before I eat my next helping.

No comments: