Thursday, November 29, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 11/28/18: Christy is in the Kellogg Hospital, Visiting Christy, Kellogg and Shadle Park Played Tonight

1. Christy was admitted into Shoshone Medical Center in Kellogg today and will be there for at least 2-4 days. Here's the story.

Just as I crawled out of bed around 6:30 this morning, my phone rang.

It was Christy.

She told me she'd had a rough night and was driving herself to the Emergency Room at Shoshone Medical Center.

Christy has been plagued since Sunday with a high fever and terrible pain on the surface of her rear end.

Upon Christy's arrival at ER, the staff began testing her: blood work, CT scan of her pelvis, chest X-ray. There might have been other tests and they put her on an IV of antibiotics and painkillers.

We were all concerned that Christy might have an infection too serious to be treated in Kellogg.

But, that wasn't the case.

Christy contracted a bacterial skin infection our family is all too familiar with: cellulitis, the very same infection that put Mom in the hospital for about three weeks back in October and November of 2016. Mom's infection developed into an open wound.  Christy's did not. Christy's does not seem to be as serious. (I hope I'm correct about that.)

That's part of the good news. In addition, Christy's infection did not form an abscess, so there is nothing to drain or lance, a great relief -- had an abscess developed, Christy, as I understand it, would have had to go to CdA to be treated.

I heard the doctor give Christy his diagnosis. He seemed pretty sure that with a few days of treatment, the infection would clear up.

Christy wants friends to know she is in the hospital. She enjoys visitors. Please keep her in your prayers as she recovers.

2. I visited Christy three times today. I was with her for a couple of hours in ER, went to see her in the middle of the afternoon and delivered her PAP machine, and returned with Stu around dinner time. Christy was under the influence of a lot of medication and was a bit incoherent and she's in quite a bit of pain, although the pain medication is giving her relief.

3.  Back in January of 1970, my sophomore year at Kellogg High School, I was a member of the boys' varsity basketball team. I didn't play much. Our team was terrible. I would say the low point of our season came when we traveled to Spokane to play the deeply talented, eventual Spokane city champion Shadle Park Highlanders and got beat 106-55.

Last season and this season, the Kellogg Wildcats had games scheduled again with Shadle Park. Shadle is no longer the elite program it was back in 1970, but I attend these games determined that if one of the worst defeats I ever experienced as a (so-called) athlete in Kellogg is bettered, I want to witness it. I also go to these Shadle games hoping that no Kellogg team ever gets beaten this bad again, in part for the sake of the players, but also because I want to hang on to the honor of being a part of one of the worst defeats a Kellogg team ever suffered. (Our 1970-71 team suffered two more similar defeats to Coeur d'Alene and Ferris in consecutive games to open the season, giving up over 100 points both nights while scoring in the 50s. I had the honor of being named in the Kellogg Evening News as Kellogg's player of the week after those massive blowouts, an embarrassment most people have forgotten, but I never will!)

So, Stu and I headed up to Kellogg's Andrews Gymnasium after seeing Christy. Ed and Scott's son, Jeff, joined us. We watched the last quarter and a half of the girls' varsity team defeat Shadle Park handily.

The boys' game got underway and I recognized at least three of the Shadle players from a year ago when a carload of us Kellogg geezers attended the Kellogg/Shadle Park game in Spokane. Kellogg had a tough squad last year. Shadle Park was young. Shadle won a nail-biter 53-51, a game Kellogg could have won had a shot or two here and there fallen.

Tonight, well, tonight I thought early in the game that our record for getting shellacked might be in jeopardy as Shadle Park steamrolled the Wildcats in the first quarter, 30-9. Kellogg played better in the second quarter, Shadle got a little bit sloppy at times as they increased their lead and knew they had the game won easily, and, the Highlanders didn't score 100 points. An Idaho state basketball rule helped preserve our record of futility. If a team is ahead by 30 or more points in the fourth quarter, the game clock doesn't stop. For anything. It keeps running during time outs, free throws, out of bounds plays, everything.

In the end, this much improved and much more mature Shadle Park team beat Kellogg, 87-52.

Even though they got creamed tonight, I came away from the game admiring the Wildcats. I thought they played hard, even as they were overwhelmed by Shadle's stronger, faster, taller, more athletic players. I liked how they moved the ball on offense and thought their offense produced some good looks at the basket. But, oh man, when Kellogg missed shots, that was it. Kellogg had very few offensive rebounds and, more often than not, Shadle converted Kellogg misses, as well as turnovers, into quick baskets in the open floor.

I'll go back to Andrews Gymnasium to watch more games this season -- both the boys and the girls. 




No comments: