Thursday, February 14, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 02/13/19: Green Curry, Big East Roundball, A Dark Comedy

1. My spiffed up kitchen didn't stay spiffy for long. I made a delicious batch of Thai green curry sauce, putting a little more paste than usual in the coconut milk along with slightly more aggressive amounts of soy sauce, fish sauce, and brown sugar. I really like the contrasts of saltiness, sweetness, and heat in curry sauce and wanted all of these tastes to be strong. I lamented not having a plug of ginger around, but got over it, and I decided to try something different and plopped a blob of crunchy peanut butter in this sauce. I liked it -- it's something I'd thought of in the past, but hadn't done before. On hand, I had a block of tofu and some cauliflower, so I sauteed the tofu and steamed the cauliflower and enjoyed the green curry over jasmine rice, boiled with a little sesame oil in the water, another delight for me.

2. For a short time about half way through the second half, it looked like Providence might go toe to toe with Villanova, but then Erich Paschall heated up, scoring 20 points in the second half, and with the help of fellow senior Phil Booth, led Villanova on a 23-6 run to end the game. Villanova triumphed, 85-67. Sticking with the Big East, I kept an eye on Seton Hall's 90-75 shredding of Georgetown and marveled at Seton Hall's Myles Powell who racked up 30 points.

3. Before I just got tired and headed to bed, I watched the opening forty minutes or so of Guy Ritchie's East London dark comedy crime movie, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels about a group of hapless friends in hock for a half a million pounds to a ruthless neighborhood crime lord  and who try to devise a way to steal that much money in a week's time. I watched the rigged card game in which Eddy lost the half a million and watched the early stages of Eddy, Soap, Bacon, and Tom planning a heist of their own and I'll return to the movie on Friday and see how it all works out. I won't get to it Thursday with two pulmonary appointments in CdA and with plans to go to Kellogg High School in the evening for Senior Night and watch the Wildcats play Priest River.

No comments: