Monday, February 25, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 02/24/19: Cleaning the House, Ruthy Returns and the Ducks Win, Family Dinner Out

1.  I didn't trust the weather this morning and so I didn't drive to CdA to go to church. Instead I went right to work cleaning the house, clearing the kitchen table, sweeping and mopping the kitchen floor, and vacuuming the living room and bathroom -- and mopping the bathroom.

2. The highlight of my television viewing today was watching the women's Oregon Duck basketball team snap a two game skid and blast past the USC Trojans, 96-78, outscoring USC  56-42 in the second half. Injured forward Ruth Hebard returned to limited action today and the Ducks were a much stronger team. Hebard is a powerful rebounder and an active and agile defender, sets stout screens on offense, rolls skillfully to the iron after setting the pick, and has strong moves as an inside scorer -- she scored 13 points. Her presence not only appeared to lift Oregon's confidence, but helped their offense get back into a rhythm they had lost against Oregon State and UCLA, freeing Erin Boley to score 32 points and Sabrina Ionescu to register a triple double with 13 points, 13 assists, and 12 rebounds. In her career, Ionescu has now racked up seventeen triple doubles, an NCAA record.  I loved seeing the Ducks back at full strength and playing basketball at a high level again.

3.  I was ready to fix family dinner. I sprang into the Sube and headed over to Yoke's and, as I drew near, suddenly realized I'd forgotten my wallet. I returned home and looked at the clock and wondered, "Would Christy and Carol and Everett and Paul agree to eat out or bring food in?" I learned they were fine with that so we all met at Casa de Oro for dinner. We had a lot of fun, especially when our conversation dove into the very important question of what was the worst song recorded in the 1970s. I think the last time I'd had a margarita was when Lyle and Lura visited last summer and we went to Casa de Oro and I enjoyed my drink a lot. Normally, I love fixing family dinner -- in fact, usually it's a highlight of any given month -- but, I was grateful that everyone agreed to go out tonight. 

No comments: