Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 02/25/19: An Old Secret Pleasure, Rice Salad, *Inspector Lewis*

1. I returned to a secret pleasure I hadn't indulged for nearly ten years today when I watched a single episode of Ice Road Truckers and felt anxiety for Lisa Kelly when she jackknifed her truck and was stranded for 14 hours, overnight, hundreds of miles from any town with a busted clutch. The other segments of this episode were also nerve wracking, but I just couldn't imagine how Lisa would get out of her very serious problem.

2. Until today, I had forgotten that I used to make and really enjoyed rice salad by combining cooked rice, chick peas, basil leaves, mint leaves, olive oil, rice vinegar, and other ingredients. The salad I made today was not as good as others I've made because I forgot to buy cilantro and cucumber at the store and because I am not eating tomatoes much, thanks to their potassium content. I'll make another one of these salads soon and will remember to include the the ingredients I forgot today.

3. After I watched Kansas thump Kansas State, 64-49, I watched an unsettling episode of Inspector Lewis, entitled "Beyond Good and Evil". It was a story about a Nietzsche obsessed psychopath Lewis had helped imprison thirteen years ago for killing three police officers, but who was about to be released from prison on appeal, thanks to some missteps in his prosecution. As his appeal was about to be heard, another police officer is murdered and a second officer survives an attempt. Hathaway and Lewis' investigation of these crimes and the release of the prisoner challenge them forensically and emotionally and gripped and moved me.

No comments: