Friday, February 22, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 02/21/19: Too Much Snow, *Pulp Fiction*, Perfect Dinner and Zags Win

This my 4500th post on kellogg bloggin', a blog I began in late 2006.

1. I drove out to Enaville. I'd heard that volunteers clear snow for walkers on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes, so I thought I'd see if that was true on the trailhead near the Snake Pit. It was snow covered and I wasn't wearing proper footwear so I returned home. I'll go out earlier tomorrow and do some more scouting for a good walking place. I've missed going on walks during this period of snowfall and frigid weather.

2. I spent the rest of the afternoon watching the last three quarters of Pulp Fiction. I saw this movie when it was first released about twenty-five years ago and I enjoyed how it left me speechless and wobbly kneed. It didn't have the same effect on me today. I enjoyed the script, the witty conversations about nothing (much like in Reservoir Dogs and reminiscent, to me, of the boys' conversations in the movie Diner). I also enjoyed the characters and the work the actors did to bring them alive. Tarantino's affection for old movies, the history of television, the music of the previous decades, and other cultural artifacts like pop tarts and breakfast cereal is a lot of fun. In many ways, the movie creates a universe of references.  It's fun to catch things being referred to. Its circular structure is fun. The movie thrilled and tickled me. Its outrageous moments made me recoil.  But, its stories don't really amount to much and don't leave me with much to contemplate.

3.  Christy prepared an awesome pasta dish from a recipe written by Alex Guarnaschelli and invited me to join her and Everett for dinner and to watch tonight's Gonzaga game. Dinner was delicious. The game turned into a snoozer as the Zags dominated Pepperdine with sharp shooting, great inside scoring, and sound defense on their way to a 92-64 victory.

No comments: