Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 02/19/19: "We're Done", Paragon Pleasures, Terps Win!

1. As I was getting ready to leave for Coeur d'Alene this morning to meet an appointment with endodontist Brittney Penberthy, snow flurries commenced. I paused, wondering if I should cancel, but decided that I'd go ahead and trust that the roads were passable. It snowed the entire way to Coeur d'Alene, but the snow wasn't really sticking. I arrived safely.

Dr. Penberthy took an instant X-ray of the tooth she operated on back in October, quickly looked at my gums, and tapped three of my teeth. The X-ray looked superb, no scarring on my gums, and the tapping caused me no pain.

"We're done."

I was out of there in about five minutes.

2. As planned, I jetted over to Byrdman's house and we piled into his pickup and pulled into the parking lot at Paragon Brewing on Government Way just north of Dalton Ave. for lunch and a beer. Paragon will begin brewing their own beer, but the launch date is still to be determined. I realized I hadn't had a Double IPA for weeks, if not a couple of months, and so I ordered a Belching Beaver Mosaic 2IPA and it was a perfectly balanced beer, rich in flavors and its slightly higher alcohol content warmed me. I ordered Paragon's All-American burger, finished my beer before it arrived, ordered a glass of water, and thoroughly enjoyed my sandwich and fries. I enjoy the food at Paragon and my hope is that they will brew beer with the same skill that they use to prepare food and that their beer will be tasty, too.

3. No snow fell and the roads were clear during my drive home.  I settled in and a call came in from the North Idaho Eye Institute. I check in for my left eye cataract surgery at 12:20 on Feb. 26th.

I know my feelings of affinity with the Univ. of Maryland's men's and women's basketball team are irrational. I lived in Maryland for a grand total of three years. I never watched either team play in person when living in Greenbelt, but, lo and behold, when one of these teams plays on television, I love to tune in and pull for the Terrapins (a.k.a. the Terps).

Late this afternoon, the 24th ranked Terps' men played on the road at the Univ. of Iowa, the nation's 21st ranked team. The game got off to a syrupy start, but the team's seemed to warm up in the last half of the first half and not only did the action pick up, but the Terps erased the Hawkeyes' lead and were ahead at halftime. The Terps lost this lead late in the second half, but regained it with 7 seconds left when Anthony Cowan drove to the hoop, missed a short shot, but was bailed out by Fernando Bruno skying over three or four Hawkeyes to tip the miss into the cup. Iowa missed two shots in the last 7 seconds and the Terps secured a very entertaining 66-65 win.

No comments: