Saturday, March 9, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 03/08/19: Normal Dog Day, Reading Colette Marie, Ducks Win!

1.  Nothing happened with Maggie and Charly today that concerned me. Maggie didn't have any coughing/honking spells. They had a normal day. Both rested and slept much of the day. Maggie  alternated her time between the bed and being close to me and Charly was always near me, often pressing against one of my ankles. Every day, they especially enjoy joining me when I watch television. I pretend within myself that they especially enjoy the University of Oregon women's basketball team, my favorite team to watch (no longer the Johnnies, but I remain faithful to pulling for St. John's success).

2. I am grateful that some of the students I worked with at Whitworth back in 1977-78 and 1982-84 have also been friends over the past 35 to nearly 45 years. I spent much of my time today working with one of these friends, Colette Marie, even though I was here in Kellogg and she was on her way to visit her parents in Arizona. Colette is applying for admission in an MFA program and asked me to write her a letter of recommendation. With her request for a letter, Colette sent me an excerpt from the novel she's been working on for quite a while.

I can tell from the excerpt that Colette's eloquent novel is both a family saga and a deep exploration of the ancient and contemporary power of stories -- and, I think, the power of writing itself. Because I was a reading an excerpt, a couple of details confused me. I wrote Colette an email asking her to clarify these things and she did, expressing gratitude for my questions. I trust that the whole novel would have answered these questions, and, with them answered, my already deep respect for Colette's work grew.

I will read the excerpt again and write the letter very soon -- and submit it ahead of the program's deadline.

3.  The Pac-12 Conference Tournament is underway in women's basketball.  The Pac-12 is a very tough conference. If you doubt this, just look at Friday's results and you'll see that the Washington Huskies, who only won two conference this season, defeated nationally ranked Oregon State.

This afternoon, I watched Oregon play Arizona. Arizona's team features Aari McDonald, a quick, fearless, and, for her opponents, annoying guard surrounded by excellent players.

Arizona gave the Ducks a tough test today. McDonald scored 34 points, but only a single point in the fourth quarter, thanks in large part to the defense of the Ducks' tough, flu-stricken Maite Cazorla. The Ducks maintained leads for essentially the entire game, but it never felt comfortable because the Wildcats fought back hard and made life difficult for the Ducks. But, Sabrina Ionescu scored crucial baskets and dished out some dazzling assists. Ruthy Hebard was a source of strength inside, both on defense and offense. She led the Ducks with 21 points.  Gebard's  knee is still tender and Oti Gildon played some strong minutes, allowing Hebard to occasionally rest, a huge boost.

I thought Arizona showed signs of fatigue in the fourth quarter and the Ducks pulled away, winning the game, 77-63.

I loved watching this game. One of the post-game commentators (I think it was Anne Marie Anderson), when asked what most impressed her about Oregon, replied "their chemistry". Yes! That's it! This team seems mind melded, both on offense and defense; they seem to have a sixth sense about what each other will do next as they move the ball on offense, help each other on defense, and jet in the open court on fast breaks. Sabrina Ionescu is their best player, and she does what the very best basketball players do: she makes her teammates better. She hits her teammates with pinpoint passes, inevitably when they are in a premium position to score; verbally, she encourages and challenges her teammates; she creates imaginative shots on drives to the cup and is a superb shooter from the outside. She's selfless, but, if need be, she can take over the offense and score much needed baskets.

I've watched this team play its last seven games. I've watched Erin Boley with special interest. Boley transferred from Notre Dame to Oregon, sat out last season, and is one of the very best outside shooters in all of college basketball. In recent games, I've seen that Erin Boley is not just a spot up outside shooter. What I'm about to say may have been true all season, but I've recently taken note of Erin Boley playing a more physical game, fighting for rebounds, not settling for outside shots, but taking the rock strong to the iron, and demonstrating that she is a sound shooter from 10-15 feet as well as from beyond the three point arc. Against Arizona, Boley was in foul trouble and spent more time than usual on the bench, but scored 13 points.

In Oregon's next game, against UCLA, I will continue to pay special attention to Erin Boley. It could be that Maite Cazorla's stuggles with the flu will impair her play. At the very end of the Arizona game, Satou Sabally took a spill and whacked her elbow on the floor and put a towel over her head to hide her face while, I assume, she cried on the bench. She later reported that her elbow is swollen and bruised, but that she's fine.  Oregon freshman, Taylor Chavez, normally their first sub off the bench, is unable to play because of a foot injury.  Without a day of rest, it's unknown what kind of shape Ruthy Hebard's tender knee will be in. With three of her teammates possibly physically compromised and with the Ducks' bench very thin -- only three subs available --, it's possible that Erin Boley will have to contribute even more than usual against the Bruins.

I can hardly wait to see how this all plays out at 6:00 on the Pac-12 network.

No comments: