Friday, March 22, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 03/21/19: I Threw Away My Bracket, Great Day of Hoops, Zags and Taco Salad

1.  I had decided a few days ago on my approach. For the first time ever, I decided to accept Terry and Sharann's invitation and participate in the Watson's NCAA men's basketball tournament bracket pool. I have not filled out a bracket in the past because I wanted to pull for the teams I favor, emotionally, not root for bracket success. Having decided to participate, the first thing I did this morning was make a cup of coffee, print out a bracket sheet, fill it out, scan it, email it to Sharann, and throw my hard copy in the garbage and do my best to forget my picks. I downloaded my bracket on a personal computer I don't use often, lessening my temptation to go back and look at my picks. I remember many of my picks, but I honestly don't remember, for example, if I picked Wofford or Seton Hall. During that game, I was glad I didn't remember because forgetting left me free to pull for Seton Hall even if I picked Wofford.  I will wait until the tournament is over and then I'll go back and review how I did and await word from Commissioner Doug as to the winner of our pool.

2.  Today the tournament featured sixteen games. I saw at least parts of eleven of these games. The only game I wish I'd seen more of was Murray State's win over Marquette, primarily because I hadn't seen Ja Morant play this season, but, since Murray State won, I will see Ja Morant play in round two. Murray State sped by Marquette, 83-64.

I enjoyed several underdog performances. Although I was pulling for my former home team, Maryland, I really enjoyed watching Belmont play again -- Belmont could have won this game -- and it was thrilling to see Belmont's Dylan Winder perform superbly.  Maryland won, 79-77.

It was grievous to watch New Mexico State barely lose to Auburn after clawing back late in the game and having three chances to tie or win the game in the closing seconds, but failing because A. J. Harris didn't shoot an open lay up that would have tied the game but, instead, passed the ball to Terrell Brown for a game winning three that Brown missed. But Auburn's Bryce Brown fouled Terrell Brown. Terrell Brown then missed two of three free throws and, remarkably, New Mexico State scrapped for the second miss, Auburn knocked the ball out of bounds, and New Mexico State had one more shot at winning the game. Trevelin Queen got a decent look at a three point shot and chucked up an air ball.  Auburn escaped, 78-77.

Vermont played powerhouse Florida State tough, but lost, 76-69.  Yale made life very difficult for favored LSU before losing, 79-74. It wasn't an upset, but I got attached to teams from the Big East Conference this winter and enjoyed seeing the last few minutes of Villanova's win over St. Mary's, 61-57. Lastly, my jaw dropped, dropped again, and continued to drop all game long as Wofford converted a dizzying blizzard of three point shots on their way to blitzing Seton Hall, 84-68.

3. Around 4:30, I strolled over to Christy and Everett's house and watched the Zags crush Fairleigh Dickinson, 87-49. From the outset, the Knights were no match for Gonzaga and the Zags' starters got plenty of rest as Mark Few emptied his bench in the game's last five minutes or so. On Saturday, Gonzaga will play Bayor, 78-69 victors over Syracuse.

While the Zags' game didn't provide any suspense, dinner was sure good. Christy put the ingredients for taco salad out on the kitchen counter. Carol popped in toward the end of the game with a new hairdo, but I returned home to check on Maggie and Charly and to watch Wofford and Seton Hall before Paul dropped in for dinner after teaching Drivers' Ed.




No comments: