Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 03/18/19: Surprise Road Trip, Sunny Walk, Soup and Oregon Women's Basketball

1. I was just getting ready to decide what to do next after a couple cups of coffee and some writing when Ed called and said he needed to pick up a pressure washer at Hotsy in Spokane Valley for Kip and wondered if I'd like to ride along. I wondered if we could stop in Coeur d'Alene long enough for me to get a haircut. No problem. So, we piled into one of McGillvary's company pickups and Robin cut my hair, Ed strolled over to Starbucks for a latte, I sauntered over myself for a coffee and a blueberry muffin and soon we were turning off the Dishman-Micah Road and picking up the washer at Hotsy.

2.  Back in Kellogg, I strapped on my back pack and walked to Avista,  put my bill in the collection box, and crossed the street to Yoke's and picked up a few groceries. Walking conditions are improving. More sidewalks are clear of snow and today's weather was sunny with temperatures in the 50s. To the right of the porch, some tiny white flowers have emerged, the first sign at this house that spring is on its way.

Linda Yawn, N.P. prescribed me at least a half an hour of walking at least five days a week.

Today's walk was a half an hour long and I racked up 3,000 steps, the minimum I like to record in a day -- that's about a mile and a half.

3. I simmered broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrots, and mushrooms in a quart of chicken broth and poured it over jasmine rice. I was surprised by much I enjoyed this simple vegetable rice soup.

By the way, in response to a request I received yesterday, soon I will look over the bracket for the women's NCAA basketball tournament and write a bit about what games I'm looking forward to.

I do know one thing: Oregon got a #2 seed in the West Region and will be in the same region as Mississippi State, the West Region's #1 seed. Mississippi State has been the national tournament runner up the last two years. If Oregon and Mississippi State advance to the regional finals, Oregon will have to contend with Mississippi State's formidable center, 6" 7' Teaira McCowan. She was the Southeast Conference player of the year this season. Last year she was the national defensive player of the year. (This year's award hasn't been announced yet.) I've seen some highlight video of her and she occupies a lot of space inside, grabs a lot of rebounds, is a dangerous shooter around the basket, and makes it very difficult for her opponents to score near the hoop. Should this game come about, it will be a stern challenge for the Ducks.

No comments: