Monday, March 11, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 03/10/19: First Sunday of Lent, Errands, Ducks Lose to Stanford

1. Thanks to a nearly cloudless turquoise day and clear roads, I drove this morning to Coeur d'Alene and worshiped at St. Luke's Episcopal Church. 

Today was the first Sunday of Lent. The liturgy's combination of prayers of penitence, the readings from Scripture, the vicar's homily, and the hymns moved me deeply. As the church emptied out, I stayed behind, listening to the organist play the postlude. The vicar and a parishioner both approached me, but I couldn't talk because I was choking up, my chin quivering. The vicar could see that I was unable to speak and shook my hand and said, "We (referring to the parish) are very glad you are here." I managed to choke out a thank you. A few minutes later, the parishioner shook my hand and asked, "Are you carrying sadness to church today?"  I could only answer, "It's Lent."  He replied, "Well, it's been a long winter." "That's true," I croaked.

I occasionally had this kind of emotional experience at St. Mary's in Eugene, but when we moved to Greenbelt and I attended services at the Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross at Dunn Loring, VA, where Rev. Betsy Bagioni was acting as rector, and then worshiped at St. Andrew's in College Park, I frequently was unable to speak after services because I was trying hard not to cry in public.

I think I know why and it's pretty simple.

My day to day life as an Episcopalian is solitary. It was much less so in Eugene because I had friends who were Episcopalians. But, in Maryland, and now in Kellogg, I almost never have interactions with other Episcopalians and, almost without knowing it, I long to be with fellow Episcopalians.

After all, the Episcopal church is my spiritual home.

So, the liturgy, because it is nearly the same everywhere in the Anglican communion, connects me with Episcopalians everywhere. As I worship, I feel fellowship with people I imagine saying these same words, praying these same prayers, and hearing the same Scripture at St. Mark's in Moscow, St. Mary's and Resurrection (and others) in Springfield and Eugene, St. John's Cathedral in Spokane, Grace Episcopal in Nyack, NY, and the many parishioners I never knew at St. Andrew's at College Park, to name a few. It surprises me when a lump forms in my throat when we pass the peace or when people at St. Luke's to whom I am a stranger, extend warmth and hospitality, but, upon reflection, I know I am moved by my feelings of isolation dissolving and of experiencing the unique bond I feel through the Holy Spirit with others in the Episcopal church.

2. I left the church and climbed in the Sube and sat for few minutes, got myself back on a more even keel, took off, and decided to have a plate of corned beef hash and eggs and hash browns at the Breakfast Nook, enjoying both the food and my spot by myself at the end of the diner's counter. I ran one more errand, the purchase of a couple of rugs to help Charly get around the house easier, at Fred Meyer.

3. By the time Linda Schantol and I made text message contact to watch the Ducks women play Stanford, Stanford had already jumped to an 8-0 lead. As I've looked and reflected upon this game, I've concluded that the Ducks lost this game in those first few minutes. I say this, not only because Stanford won by seven points, 64-57, but because those first few minutes of the game put the Ducks on their heels, established Stanford as the more aggressive (and maybe the less fatigued) team, and, all game long, the Ducks were working to take control of the game back from Stanford, to overcome Stanford's fast start.

At the end of the third quarter, the Ducks temporarily seized control of the game and took the lead by a point at the end of the third quarter. The Ducks and Cardinal exchanged leads several times as the fourth quarter developed, but I thought the game, ultimately, turned on a single play.  With 3:31 left in the game, DiJonai Carrington made a lay up to put Stanford ahead 53-51. Eleven seconds later, Carrington stole the ball from the Ducks' Maite Cazorla and raced over half the length of the court to score, put the Cardinal up by 4, and the Ducks never led again.

Linda and I shared our sadness that the Ducks lost and agreed to look ahead to the NCAA tournament and see what kind of seed the Ducks get. We are eager to cheer them on again.




No comments: