Thursday, March 21, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 03/20/19: No More Tests, Bad Johnnies in Dayton, Basketball Texting is the Best

1.  Nurse Sheri is on a brief leave, so if the report on my nuclear cardio stress test has come in, I haven't heard about it yet. No problem. Today, however, Randy from the clinic called and my bone density scan came back normal.

What lies ahead?

Monthly blood draws. Routine check ups with my primary care provider and nephrologist this summer. A check up early next week with the eye doctor to make sure I healed all right after cataract surgery. A routine dental exam in late April. I welcome having a stretch of time lying ahead when I'm not having to be examined again or having another surgery. I'm grateful that, up to this point, it's all gone well and that I'm in about as good of shape as can be expected.

2.  Well, St. John's University's men's basketball season ended with a thud this evening. I had hoped the Good Johnnies would show up against Arizona State, but, alas, the Good Johnnies stayed behind in Queens and the Bad Johnnies took the ice in Dayton. The Bad Johnnies don't move the ball well on offense, miss shot after shot after shot, don't rebound on offense, and make one careless turnover after another. Arizona State pounced on the Bad Johnnies from the get go, and, yes, St. John's did trim the lead to under 10 points a few times in the second half, but always seemed to break their own momentum with another errant pass, a missed shot, or an untimely foul.  St John's lost, 74-65.

So, the roller coaster ride is over. The St. John's version of the Timber Terror is shut down. I look forward to next year, seeing what players return and whether Chris Mullin can recruit some bigger players, and strapping back in to the roller coaster ride once again.

One thing I'll miss for sure about St. John's being done: the telecast of St. John's late season games often featuring some video clips of Chris Mullin making plays at St. John's when he played from 1981-85. Mullin was such an unlikely looking superb player. But, he was a stellar marksman, one of college basketball's best passers ever, and played the game with skill and elan, making him a respected leader. He undertook a difficult challenge by accepting the coaching job at SJU, but every season his team's record has improved and he coached them back into the NCAA tournament.

3. It's really fun that I don't watch these NCAA basketball games alone, even though I'm by myself in the tv room -- well, Maggie and Charly are there, too, but they don't say much.

Text messaging during these games is a blast, whether it's with Linda or Sally or Byrdman or Don or Terry or Stu or anyone else who might get a little conversation going during a game. It gives us a chance not only to keep in touch with each other, but to exchange observations and funny quips. Watching these games and exchanging remarks through text messages is as fun of a way of enjoying games as I've ever experienced.




No comments: