Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 06/03/19: Hiking Project Underway, Getting Invigorated, Tuna Salad

1.  I have hiked the Shoshone Medical Center health and wellness trail several times and returned to it today. The hike challenges me. It's not a long hike, but, for me, it's steep enough that I need to rest along the way and catch my breath before moving on. About a half a mile up, there's a viewpoint and a picnic table with a sign explaining silva restoration in the Kellogg area.

Beyond this area, a trail continues, and, I've been told, it comes out in Vergobbi Gulch in Kellogg.

Until today, I'd never hiked beyond the picnic table. Today, I gave it a try. I thought the trail steepened significantly and I struggled hard to make my way to higher ground. After a while, I decided that this is going to have to be an effort best spread out over many days. I need to strengthen my legs and improve my cardio-vascular function to complete this trail.

So, I retreated, determined to return and try to climb farther up the hill next time I try -- like on Tuesday. I don't have any idea how long it's going to take me to climb this trail, but it's too much for me right now and I hope that, over time, I'll build the strength and stamina to make it.

2. The hike may not have been a total success as far as what I set out to do, but it was just the invigoration I needed. This morning, I continued to feel tired after all the activity and, really, the intensity of all that happened on Saturday with seeing so many people I've known for decades and joining with them to suffer the grief of Goose's death and celebrate the vitality of his life. Charly awakened me to eat around 5:00 this morning and I went back to sleep around 10:00 or so and took another short nap after my hike. These naps were restorative and I'm feeling my energy level rise again.

3. I imagined several fun things to make for dinner tonight, but decided to put some of them off until later in the week. I opted for a simple meal. I bought a bag of salad and poured tuna fish over it and added pepperoncinis, garlic stuffed green olives, and shredded cheese to the greens and topped it with a Greek salad dressing I bought last week.


No comments: