Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 06/04/19: Hiring Help, Studying the Washing Machine, Curry Sausage Potato Soup

1. I gave my full attention today to things around the house that need attention. I contacted Kellee and she is going to make an appointment to have her dad's sewer line and mine inspected, in response to a letter from the the City of Kellogg. Soon a tree service guy who has worked for Carol and Paul will come over and estimate what it will cost to clean up the lilac trees/bushes out back.  I have a call in for an appointment to have our furnace tuned up.

2. I spent most of the day reading and watching videos about washing machines leaking. The washing machine in the basement is over twenty years old. For several weeks, when I've gone down to take clothes out, sometimes there has been a small trickle of water coming out of the bottom of the machine. Other times, it's been dry. Because the machine is a Frigidaire, Watts doesn't service it and Furniture Exchange told me they recommend customers to Fred's in CdA. Fred's won't come out for a week (which is fine), but if I could learn about someone in the Silver Valley who services washing machines, I'd have that person come over.

Paul came over and looked at the washer and we agreed the water is not from the input or output hose connections. After he left, I washed a load of clothes. I got out old pictures and looked through them while sitting in front of the machine, hoping to pinpoint when the trickle of water leaks out. Sure enough, it leaks out during the final spin. I read up some more on what this might mean, consulted with Travis in Moscow, and I think I can, at the very least, listen to the repair guy with some knowledge of what's going on and what might need fixing.

I'll just say that while looking into this on the World Wide Web, most people's stories involved leaks that left a lot of water on their floor. This is not the case with me. There is a floor drain right by the washer and there's not enough water coming out of the machine, right now, to reach the drain. Could it get worse? Well, I'd rather get it fixed than find out.

I also looked into buying a new washer. Replacing ours, built in 1997, is still on the table.

3. I browned some German sausage mixed with chopped onion and celery and mushrooms. I chopped up a few potatoes and cooked them until tender in chicken broth. I added the sausage mix to the potatoes and broth and added two cans of coconut milk to create a version of potato sausage soup that I made up. I tasted it and wanted something more in it, so I put a glob of green curry paste in a cast iron pan, heated it up until fragrant, and stirred the curry paste into the soup. Now the soup has a good kick to it and, for dinner tonight, I enjoyed a bowl of curry sausage potato soup. It's sweet, spicy, and creamy and it was fun to dream up and make.

No comments: