Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 06/24/19: A Good Walk, Relaxing at Eddie Joe's, World Cup Fervor

1. I made myself happy today. After some sluggish days, some rainy days, and some days I spent indoors resting my injured (now nearly healed) shoulder, I returned to walking today. I walked to The Bean and enjoyed a bagel and a coffee. I then walked down Bunker Avenue, past the base of the Silver Mountain Resort, by the old Middle school, over the river and the freeway, and back down the west end of Cameron to my house. It was a good loop, covering about two miles, and, by the end of the day, I had walked over 5000 steps.

2. Cas texted me around 4:00 and invited me to join him at Eddie Joe's (a.k.a. The Dog Pound) and I accepted. Jess and Ron's German Shepherd, Dexter, met me at the door. Before long, Robert's wife (we've never met and I don't recall her name) not only brought in her aged dog, but also had her black cat on a leash. Angie and Seth just took in a couple of French bulldog puppies and before long, the pups got to get in some socializing by joining the rest of the menagerie at Eddie Joe's. Seth, Cas, and I are in two Silver Valley fantasy baseball leagues together and we had a lot of baseball to discuss, along with some music talk -- next month, Angie and Seth will go to the Snoop Dogg show at Northern Quest; I happily bragged a little about seeing Neil Young last month; Cas and I continued some past conversation we've had about Dr. John, whom Cas heard three times in concert. When "Stealin'" came on the jukebox, we talked about Uriah Heep which led to some yakkin' about Procol Harum.

The former proprietor of Eddie Joe's, Eddie Joe himself was present and he asked the bartender, Adam, to have me autograph a napkin and tell him how Mary Ann was doing. I chuckled. A few weeks ago a guy at the Lounge who'd been at the end of the bar came down the bar and told me I looked just like the Skipper on Gilligan's Island. EJ overheard him and, so, today, that moment continued as I signed the napkin, but was unable to update Mary Ann's current whereabouts (but, wasn't she in CdA or somewhere near CdA lately?).  Eddie Joe assured me he will forever treasure that napkin.

3. Back home, I whipped up a quick dinner of a chopped up salmon burger patty and rice, checked my fantasy baseball results -- it was a mediocre day for my teams --, and listened to the panel on Around the Horn go on and on and on and on about the World Cup matches between the USA and Spain and England and Cameroon. Controversy was in the air, but, to he honest, it went over my head. But, I couldn't stop watching and listening to the panelists: they were fired up and made their points with energy and commitment.

No comments: