Friday, June 28, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 06/27/19: New Doctor, Soup Stocks, Return to Dylan's *Theme Time Radio Hour*

1. I met first thing this morning with Dr. Heidi Herold who is now my new primary care provider. I was grateful that it was an easy visit. I'd just had a physical examination with blood work in March. I see the nephrologist in a couple weeks and will have blood work done then.  Dr. Herold  didn't order any new work. She liked how my heart and lungs sounded. My vitals were all strong, including a great blood pressure reading. She is now in charge of my prescriptions, which remain unchanged, and will see me in six months. 

2. The meat stock I've been working on looked great as I strained it, put it containers, and froze it. I cleaned the crock pot and immediately chopped up some onion and celery, nearly filled the crock pot with crab shells, covered it all with water, added some seasonings, and got my next batch of crab stock underway.

3. I had planned on watching the last half of Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story today, but, instead, I went to the archives of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour and listened to two shows: "Baseball" and "Weather". Back in the Eugene days, between 2006-09, when Dylan's radio show aired on satellite radio, I used to enjoy listening to this program in my bedroom and I marveled at the depth of Bob Dylan's knowledge of popular music from nearly the entirety of the 20th century. I used to love Ellen Barkin's intro to each episode ("It's night time in the big city. Rain is falling, fog rolls in from the waterfront. The nightshift nurse smokes the last cigarette in a pack."). I loved hearing Bob Dylan being talky, generous, articulate, friendly; he seemed to enjoy this world he created every week, a throwback radio show performed in an imaginary studio.

Every episode of Theme Time Radio Hour is archived online, right here. Scroll down, look at the menu, and click around. You'll find all the episodes and some other excellent material.

No comments: