Saturday, June 8, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 06/07/19: New Washing Machine, Tasks Scheduled, Raptors Over the Warriors

1. I came home after breakfast and meditated on washing machines for a while and leapt into the Sube and buzzed out to Watts Appliance determined to make a final decision. I shop for appliances at Watts for several reasons. I like to shop local. They have a limited inventory, so fewer appliances to choose from.  Looking at multiple styles and varieties of any appliance gives me vertigo. Included in the price of the appliance is delivery, installation, and the removal of the old machine. Watts has an in house repairman. He services the appliances they sell and he's done great work in this house on things before -- when Mom was still alive and since.

I am a simple launderer. I don't do special soaks or special rinses. I don't need much capacity in the machine. The front loader in the shop was tempting, but I didn't want or need as much capacity as it has. So I bought a top loader that will do the job without a lot of decisions to make and has a capacity a little larger, but similar, to the old machine.  I could have had the machine delivered this afternoon, but I decided to wait until Monday afternoon. I like to go to the Lounge on Friday afternoons.

2.  Kellee messaged me that a guy is coming to both of our properties (her dad's house is behind Christy and Everett's) this coming Thursday to assess the sewer situation as required by the City of Kellogg. So, I've taken care of the washing machine. The furnace will be tuned up on Monday. The lilacs will get taken care of about Wednesday. The sewer guy comes on Thursday. I still might ask the electrician to come over to make some changes in the house, but I'm going to let these other things get done first.

3. I had a good time at the Lounge, sipping gin and tonic, yakkin' with Cas and Bird Legs and Gloria. I returned home in plenty of time to watch Game 4 of the NBA Finals.

I am enjoying not being all that partisan when it comes to the Warriors and the Raptors. Absent strong feelings about who wins, I am enjoying the high quality of play. As I see it, the Raptors are wearing the Warriors down, tiring them out, with their physical strength and their depth. Last night, when seasoned veteran Serge Ibaka came off the bench in relief, I think, of Marc Gasol, the Raptors didn't lose anything, but got stronger as Ibaka continued to play bruising defense, blocked shots, and scored, unexpectedly, from the outside. Kawhi Leonard continues to wear down the Warriors with his physical strength, controlled aggression, and deft shooting touch. It seems to me that with every game, Kyle Lowry grows more and more confident in his decisions as the team's point guard.

The Warriors, for good reason, look spent. Steph Curry tried to compensate for the loss of Klay Thompson in Game 3 and it looks to me like the increased playing time and responsibility is wearing him out. The Warriors sorely miss Kevin Durant. Klay Thompson played superbly last night, but, with Durant in the lineup, he and Curry don't have to score as much and can find spots to rest and recharge. Without Durant, the Warriors aren't getting many points from anyone other than Curry and Thompson. DeMarcus Cousins is struggling to play himself back into shape after being out for several weeks with a quad injury. He often looks a step slow, out of breath, and a bit clumsy. The Raptors, on the other hand, got excellent scoring last night from Pascal Siakam and Serge Ibaka in support of Leonard.

I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about the character of this Raptor team that reminds me of the San Antonio Spurs. Maybe it's just that Kawhi Leonard is now a Raptor after several years with the Spurs. Maybe it's the way Toronto is getting such solid play out of a player who went undrafted (Fred VanVleet), veterans who have revived their careers by coming to Toronto (Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka, Danny Green), an aging player like Kyle Lowry who is bringing his team so much savvy and leadership, or maybe it's the way the Raptors play with such patience, intelligence, and strength. Maybe they aren't similar to past Spurs teams at all! But, that's what I keep thinking I see.

I do know that in my somewhat impartial view, I'm finding it difficult to watch the Warriors play as a team weakened by injuries, a team, possibly, beginning to run on empty. At full strength, the Warriors play with snap, verve, daring, and even joy. This weakened Warriors squad just doesn't seem to have the energy (I think they have the will) to score points in waves and dazzle opponents with quick defense, sharp passes, dizzying fast breaks, and superb shooting.

Two more days off.

Travel to Toronto.

A little rest.

Maybe Kevin Durant will play some.

Monday could be an interesting night -- will the Warriors revive? Or will we see the Toronto Raptors win the franchise's first ever NBA crown?

I'll be tuned in to find out.

No comments: