Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 06/25/19: Walking Kellogg, Clinic Visit, Very Quiet Day

1. I do much better getting myself out and walking when I have something to take care of or to do on my walk. On Monday, I stopped at The Bean. Today, I had some business to take care of at the clinic uptown, so, instead of calling, I decided to take care of it in person and walk up. Not only that, but I used the drop box to pay my Avista bill. I walked nearly three miles, almost 6000 steps, by walking east on Cameron, south on Hill Street, and west on the bike trail to the place where the trail goes uphill to the museum, close to the clinic. I left the clinic and walked on McKinley over to Division, went down Depot Hill, took a rest at one of the benches west of the old Sunnyside school, and ended my walk by pretending it was 1962-1966, I was back in the 3rd-6th grades, walking home and the end of a school day at Sunnyside.

2. A while back, I received notification from the clinic that I needed to arrange to see a new primary care provider. I had toyed with the idea of seeing a doctor in Coeur d'Alene, one whom Stu and Ed see and enjoy a lot. But, back in 2017, when I moved to Kellogg, I had decided to keep as much of my business local as I could. I stuck with that today and made an appointment to see the new doctor at the clinic so that I have a primary provider overseeing my few medications. I see her on Thursday.

3. I realized tonight when I went to bed that I'd only talked to two people all day long. I spoke with the woman who set up my appointment at the clinic and I exchanged a few words about bagging groceries with the checker at Yokes. I had plenty of contact with people: Christy and I texted each other and she emailed me a positive update about her health; Kellee updated me on possibilities as to when another company will send a person our way to make a sewer estimate; Cas and I wrote some fun text messages back and forth; Stu and I messaged each other in the morning; Julie (Feather) Rockwell wrote me text messages updating me on things in her busy and challenging life as she plows through graduate school and tends to other things. I listened to Tragically Hip for about ninety minutes, watched a bit of the BBC's 1983 production of Macbeth, but most of the day was quiet, often silent, with little more sound than the cars and trucks going by. Kellogg is a quiet place to live. Most days, I like that.

No comments: