Thursday, November 25, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 11-24-2021: Moving Stuff Along, More Thanksgiving Preparations, Sharing a Righteous Stout

 1. I muscled three containers of old old old yard waste that's been sitting on the east side of our house since Moses parted the Red Sea into the bed of Christy's pickup and loaded up some items she wanted dropped off at St. Vincent de Paul's. I dropped off the donations and then went to the dump where I added our ancient twigs, leaves, and weeds to the big compost bin there and took care of a piece of wood and a snow blower cover that I should have left off earlier in the week along with some cardboard. 

I love moving things along that don't belong any longer around our house or Christy's house. Today's trip satisfied this love.

2. Back home, I put the cornbread I made yesterday in the oven at a very low temperature for a couple of hours to dry out and I'll turn it into a pan of cornbread dressing Thanksgiving Day. Debbie had volunteered to roast a turkey and she uses a day ahead method and got that done and transformed a part of the carcass into turkey vegetable rice soup. I sampled a small amount of the soup. It is rapturous. 

3. When she went to Coeur d'Alene not long ago, Debbie bought about six 12 oz cans of a variety of beers. We like to pop open a can during the day and share it. Today, we split a can of 10 Barrel Brewing of Bend's delicious Pray for POW Winter Stout. I liked how this beer's ABV, at 7%, was not technically an Imperial Stout, but it behaved like one with big coffee and chocolate flavors, beautifully balanced, and with a subtle touch of berry underneath. 

It's a smooth stout, warming, but for the beer lover who likes a bitter bite at the finish, the Pray for POW delivers. When my cat Luna wants to be fed at 4:00 in the morning, she bites me lightly, careful not to break my skin. Likewise, the bitterness at the end of Pray for POW won't break your skin, but it reminds you to take notice that it's the slight bitterness that draws us to drink coffee, eat dark chocolate, and enjoy a well-brewed beer. 

*Every once in a while I forget to mention something in my daily blog posts. Earlier this week, I watched the Netflix documentary, Count Me In. The movie featured interviews with several rock music drummers. It explored these musicians' love for drumming and how they got into it more than it explored technical aspects of drumming. Each of the drummers is engaging and fun to listen to and I enjoyed that the movie made it a point to interview women drummers as well as men and addressed the ignorant preconception held by too many that drumming is a man's gig. 

Far from it. 

No comments: