Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 11/08/2021: Union Coffee and Scone, Getting Ready for Winter, MTV Family Dinner at Radio

 1.  I drove the Sube over to Coeur d'Alene today for basic six month servicing and arrived in town about 30 minutes early for my appointment. I decided to drive west on Hanley, past the auto repair garage, wondering if I might discover a coffee shop. I drove as far as Ramsey Road and, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a Union Coffee store in a tiny mall just north of Hanley. I'd never tried Union and decided to it was time to do so. 

I ordered a house drip coffee and a raspberry scone. The scone was hefty and multi-layered. It popped with fruity sweetness and flaky texture. I enjoyed it a lot and the coffee was most satisfying. 

I'm very happy I went on this short coffee safari and look forward to dropping in at a Union store again. 

2. Normally, after having the car serviced late in the morning,  I like to go to a brewery or a tap house, see if Byrdman can join me, and have a beer and possibly some lunch.

But, today, I hustled straight back to Kellogg and Christy, Paul, and I pushed forward in getting Christy's yard ready for the winter and made progress getting stuff ready to go to the transfer station, St. Vincent de Paul's, and over to Paul and Carol's house. 

On Tuesday, I'll continue to help out by making a couple of dump runs and a trip to St. Vinnie's and to the Roberts' house. 

I think we are getting closer all the time to getting the tasks completed that Christy wants done before hunkering down for the winter.

3. I'm not sure, but I think the story goes something like this: last Monday, we were planning the pizza party we had Sunday evening and Carol said something about how we could SAVE THE PORTER and drink porter with our pizza. 

I didn't think porter and pizza was a very good pairing (I might be wrong). 

We decided, instead, to go to Radio Brewing on Monday for a second consecutive night of family dinner. Molly doesn't work on Mondays. She could join us. For those who wanted to, we could further the cause to SAVE THE PORTER. We could also order food.

Our fun at Radio was enhanced by the Pandora playlist that was on. It could have been called The Best of MTV 80s Music! Among the many songs that played we heard "Video Killed the Radio Star", "Sweet Dreams", "Down Under", "Hold Me Now", "Hungry Like a Wolf", "Come on, Eileen", "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)", and a host of other tunes from around forty years ago. 

It was a blast. The songs triggered memories of things some of us were doing back then, helped movies pop into our minds, and stimulated other fun conversations. All this music came out before Molly was born, but she was totally familiar with all of it, as if she herself had been a devotee of Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood, and the other original MTV VJs. 

We talked about a variety of things other than the playlist, but, as I drank Radio Brewing's delicious coffee forward porter and enjoyed my Korean Bowl, I relived those days when students came to my apartment in Spokane to watch MTV videos and reveled in days I enjoyed after moving back to Eugene.

Yes, as I wrote the other day, I was a confused and insecure mess in the early days of MTV, but the music we heard tonight and the fun I had listening to it and watching videos was a great escape and enhanced the mirth and merriment I experienced in the midst of all my floundering about. 

By the way, it was during this time of confusion and insecurity that I met Jeff Steve when he moved to Eugene in about 1985. 

Jeff had been a student on one of Whitworth's Central America study tours and he deeply admires Ron Frase.

Tonight Jeff called me to express his appreciation for what I wrote in memory of Ron Frase and to talk about other things.

As always, our conversation was superb and, like the music tonight at Radio, talking with Jeff brought back a lot of memories and feelings grounded in things that happened 35-40 years ago. 

No comments: