Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 11/02/2021: Trip to the Transfer Station, Porter at Radio -- and The Lounge!, Atlanta Wins and Election Party

1. Monday, I told Christy I'd come over to the side of her garage while she was working at election central uptown and see about taking some cardboard to the transfer station to be recycled and dispose of some other things in her garbage can. It turned out it was easy. The cardboard fit into the back of the Sube, I made one trip to the transfer station, and there was plenty of room in Christy's can to put in some random items that needed to go. 

2. Debbie and I went uptown to vote in the Kellogg City Council election. We had decided beforehand to go to Radio Brewing after voting and help SAVE THE PORTER. As we left election central, Eddie Joe was heading in to vote and we yakked for a few minutes, told him our plan, and a little later he joined us for a couple pints of porter. 

Before Eddie Joe arrived, Debbie and I started some conversation about possible travel plans in the spring and we made a lot of progress in a short time.

We had a really fun time with EJ. In the course of our time together, Eddie Joe informed us that The Lounge would be open for an election party -- Eddie Joe's daughter, Monica, was running for city council.

Debbie and I dropped in early and got to yak with Cas for a while before the party grew. 

And guess what? 

Cas informed me, unaware of my pretend, imaginary, eccentric campaign to SAVE THE PORTER, that starting this coming weekend, Pulaski Porter from North Idaho Mountain Brew -- or the City Limits -- will be on tap. 

This was thrilling news! I am eager to drink porter at The Lounge and to continue my obscure little campaign.

3. Debbie and I went home to eat leftovers -- stuffed pepper soup and mac and cheese. 

I watched the early innings of Game 6 of the World Series. When, in the top of the third inning, Jorge Soler launched a soaring home run not only over the fence but out of Minute Maid Park, I came out of my chair and stared at the Vizio in astonishment. The home run staked pitcher Max Fried and Atlanta to a 3-0 lead. Fried pitched brilliantly through the sixth inning and gave way to Atlanta's two powerful relievers, Tyler Matzek and Will Smith. Soler's howitzer didn't end Atlanta's scoring barrage. Dansby Swanson slammed a home run, and, for good measure, longtime Atlanta Brave and fan favorite, Freddie Freeman, added another round tripper. 

In most impressive fashion, the Braves won Game 6, 7-0, and won their first World Series since 1995. 

Debbie and I returned to the Lounge after Soler's home run and attendance at Monica Miller's election party had grown significantly. Some old timers like us, Eddie Joe, Mike Pierce, Ron Delcamp, the Fitzgeralds, and Jim Miller were in attendance, but by and large the crowd consisted of Kellogg twenty and thirty somethings. I enjoyed being at the bar, on the sidelines, watching the youth enjoy each other, making each other laugh. I wasn't expecting to be transported back to those Lucky Lager nights at the Kopper Keg when I was 19, 20, 21 years old and was pretty loud, easy to make laugh, and loved the company of my Kellogg friends. But, seeing these youngsters tonight took me back to those days. I wish I could say I felt young again. I didn't. But fun memories sure returned! 

No comments: