Saturday, November 6, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 11/05/2021: Composter Project, Pulaski Porter at The Lounge!, Many Happy Vibes at The Lounge

1. Several years ago, Mom bought a composter. When we moved into her house, we moved the composter from the north side of the house to the east side, along the fence. I'd say it had been at least four years since I'd removed compost from it.

I wanted to put as much of Christy's garden debris as possible into the composter today, so I dug out all the soil that had been made over the last four years, put it on a tarp for Christy to use whenever she wants, moved the composter to her yard (just on the other side of the fence), and filled it with as much of Christy's yard debris as possible. 

Christy has some other things left to do, and I think we are making good progress on these tasks. 

2. When Debbie and I dropped into The Lounge on Tuesday, before the election party really got humming, Bob told us that on November 5th he would be offering North Idaho Mountain Brewing's Pulaski Porter on tap. 

The Lounge opens at 3:00 and today I leapt in the Sube and buzzed up there right at 3 and in my own eccentric way, in my pretend world of things being important, enjoyed that I was the first patron to drink from this Pulaski Porter keg. It was a smooth, nicely balanced, easy drinking pleasure. This beer has a satisfying presence of chocolate and coffee with just enough hoppy bitterness to keep it from being too malty. It's also slightly smoky, a touch I found pleasing. 

3. In my experience, The Lounge is usually fairly quiet for, oh I don't know, the first 90 minutes that it's open on Friday.

Not today.

Slowly, surely The Lounge began to fill up with happy people, mostly over 55 years old, many in groups at tables. Soon The Lounge was alive with lots of yakkin', big smiles, and laughter. I spent most of the late afternoon at the north end of the bar next to John Seavy. I hadn't seen him for nearly two years and we had a great session. Eddie Joe joined us and that was a blast. Over the course of the time I was there, several people either took a seat near us to yak or came and stood where we were and told stories, listened to ours, and we entertained ourselves. 

Debbie and Diane had been out to Cataldo and they dropped in and took seats at the other end of the bar and continued their good times together. I got to review mid 70s KHS football with Jimmy White, hear about the purchase of his AC Cobra from Randy Smith, talk about the old neighborhood near Don's Market because Orlando Berti sat close to us, and talked at length with John and Eddie Joe about the indignities of growing older and experiencing our short term memory growing weaker. 

I didn't really want to leave, but I was getting hungry.  I didn't really know Debbie's food situation, so I went next door to Wah Hing, bought an order of seafood lo mein, brought it home, split it with Debbie, and, after a bit, retired to the bedroom to feed Copper and Luna and give them some company since they'd been on their own in there for several hours.

They were doing fine, but, all the same, they appreciated some dinner and we enjoyed being together as we all fell asleep before long. 

No comments: