Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 11/09/2021: Progress at Christy's, Fun College Basketball Day, Zags Wallop Dixie State

1. This morning, I strolled over to Christy's. On Monday, Paul and I had loaded Christy's pickup with stuff to go to the transfer station and I took it out there. It was wet out, a light rain, a bit raw. It was a perfect time to go to the dump. I pretty much had the place to myself! I returned, loaded Christy's bins of garden debris in the truck, hauled it back to the transfer station, and dumped it in their huge compost bin. Back in town, I picked up Paul and we loaded up some lumber and other odds and ends at Christy's that were his and transported them to his and Carol's house where we unloaded them.

I enjoy reducing the amount of stuff that's no longer of use, whether it's in our house or someone else's. I was happy to help Christy move forward in her ongoing effort to do some fall cleaning and clearing, both in her garden beds and around her yard, in her garage, and in her house. 

We all chipped in and helped lighten Christy's load some more.

2. Back home, I settled in to watch some college basketball. I sure enjoyed seeing Villanova open their season, even if it was against a lesser opponent, Mt. St. Mary's (of Maryland). But, because of the pandemic, last year's seniors had the option to play an extra year, and so two longtime Villanova veterans are back, Collin Gillespie and Jermaine Samuels, as is their true junior, Justin Moore. Villanova crushed Mt. St. Mary's, 91-51.

I look forward to a very competitive, intriguing college basketball season. Since last season ended, players were free to transfer to new teams without having to sit out a year. All seniors were offered an extra year of eligibility. Teams are loaded with new transfer players with a lot of experience and other experienced players decided to stick around and play another year of college ball past their traditional senior year. 

I can't remember the last time a college basketball season promised such a mixture of older players and stunning freshman talent. It'll be fun to see how it all plays out between now and April.

3. I went over to Christy's and watched Gonzaga wallop the Dixie State Trailblazers of St. George, Utah (a Western Athletic Conference team), 97-63. 

I'd like to say that tonight's game gave me a clear picture of what we might expect from the Zags this season, but it didn't.

As happens in these early season mismatches, the Zags were using this game to try out combinations of players, to give several players on the team playing time, and to try out different things on offense and defense. 

I will probably be preoccupied on Saturday with Patrick and Meagan's Thurs-Sun visit and will miss the game when the Zags play the very talented and experienced Texas Longhorns. Texas hired a very good head coach, Chris Beard, in the off season and some superb older players transferred to Texas: Marcus Carr, Timmy Allen, Christian Bishop, and Tre Mitchell are some examples. My guess is that with all these new players and a new coach,  Texas will be trying to find its identity as a team, just like the Zags are with their new players and with the loss of last year's guys who are now in the NBA. But, it should be an awesome game and a great test for both teams. 


No comments: