Saturday, November 12, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 11-11-2022: My Radio Voice Immortalized!, Breakfast at Goose and Tree, Patrick Takes Over the Kitchen

 1.  I didn't listen to Jeff's radio show, Deadish, on Thursday night when Patrick and Meagan arrived, but this morning I went straight to the archives at kepw.org to catch his show and within 60 seconds I heard my own voice! Ha! I recorded a short intro for Jeff at his house while I was in Eugene. Nothing fancy, just me saying,  "This is Bill from up in Kellogg, Idaho and you're listening to my friend Jeff's show Deadish. Have a great evening!"

Way better than my little spiel was Jeff's show, a blissful hour of Zero at WOW Hall on Nov. 10, 1996 and an hour of Grateful Dead music from their Nov. 10, 1973 show at the Winterland Ballroom/Arena in San Francisco. Jeff played the Dead's awesome start of the second set that featured Playing in the Band --> Uncle John's Band --> Morning 
Dew-->Playing in the Band -->Uncle John's Band (this is known by some as the "Dew Sandwich") and it's stellar. 

2. I was trying to remember today when Christy purchased her new range at Watts Appliance because when Carol and I accompanied her that day we ate breakfast at Goose and Tree and I hadn't eaten there since.

Well, today, I broke the drought. Meagan, Patrick, and I had a splendid breakfast together, got in some premium yakkin' together, and then took a quick drive by Pinehurst Elementary School so they could see where Debbie teaches. 

3. Back home, I baked a batch of Morning Glory muffins and then Patrick took over the kitchen and made a very interesting meal for the four of us.

It's called Cheesy Broiled Sheet Pan Pasta with Vegetables. The idea is to have a meal that replicates a casserole's crunchy, cheesy topping -- without the casserole! It involved taking a ridged baking sheet and broiling some bacon. Then Patrick broiled chopped cauliflower and broccoli with fennel seeds. When the vegetables were nearly soft, Patrick added the pasta he'd boiled to the pan and added mozzarella and dollops of ricotta cheese. He then added more mozzarella cheese and a combination of bread crumbs, hard cheese grated, fresh thyme, chopped garlic, lemon zest, and a thinly sliced chili pepper. Somewhere in this process he also added chopped shallots. 

The last step was to broil these ingredients one more time and then squeeze lemon juice over the top of it all.

This was a superb dinner and fired up my imagination regarding the possibilities of broiling food on a ridged sheet pan. 

Want to see a video of this meal? Just click here. You'll see that it's a flexible recipe and that our meal was a variation of what's on the video. 

We relaxed the rest of the evening, yakkin, yakkin, and yakkin some more and enjoying Knob Creek Bourbon. 
 

No comments: