Friday, November 18, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 11-17-2022: Snow Tires On, Drinks at The Beanery, *Fallen Angel* Unnerved Me

1. Silver Valley Tire put snow tires on the Sube and the Camry and, just as I wanted them to, loaded the other tires in big plastic bags in the Sube. I stacked the tires in the garage, leaving plenty of room for which ever car we park there and I'm elated to have this task completed, especially with Debbie commuting out to Pinehurst and back daily. 

2. Because I had both cars at home, I blasted in the Sube out to Pinehurst to pick up Debbie at school around 4:15. She had a terrific idea: let's go to Beanery. We hadn't been out for a taste together for quite a while. I enjoyed a couple of pours of Jameson's and we had a relaxing time just yakkin' and giving Debbie a chance to relax after another intense day of working with third graders. 

3. I'd watched two other Otto Preminger movies fairly recently. Laura featured Dana Andrews and I noted that Preminger and Andrews teamed up for another film noir, Fallen Angel (1945).

I watched it this evening. 

I experienced a lot of discomfort. 

Andrews' character, Eric Stanton, is a con man and a predator. He stumbles into a small California town and immediately preys upon two women and teams up with a fraudulent spiritualist and helps attract an audience of suckers to watch the charlatan contact the dead.

This movie is pretty close, in my opinion, to pure film noir.

It's filled with deceit. A central character is murdered. As the murder plot unfolds, those involved both in the investigation and the commission of the crime are disgraceful characters, adding to the darkness and duplicity of the story.

The resolution of the movie's story didn't put my mind and spirit at ease. 

Like I said, it's pretty close to a pure film noir. 

No comments: