Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 11-22-2022: Shopping for Candy, Chicken Curry Dinner, Creighton Hoops and *Poetry Break*

1. It won't last long. It never does. On occasion, I get a strong hankering for candy. Today, when I went Thanksgiving dinner shopping at Yoke's, I also purchased a bag of sour gummy candies, a large Mr. Goodbar chocolate and peanut bar, and a bag of Dove dark chocolate with caramel and sea salt squares. I had fun gnawing on these delights throughout the day. I'm glad I left some for tomorrow.

2. For dinner tonight, I made a yellow curry sauce packed with broccoli, green beans, tiny Yukon gold potatoes, white onion, dried lime kaffir leaves, and ribbons of sautéed chicken breast. Debbie and I ate this sweet, salty, moderately spicy, lime-y sauce over jasmine rice. For me, it was a perfect warming dinner on this chilly November evening.

3. Over the past few college basketball seasons, I've enjoyed watching the Creighton Blue Jays as much as any team in the nation. They play an up tempo style of basketball and, in the past, have featured some awesome shooters like Mitch Ballock and Marcus Zegarowski. Last year's team featured a fifth year transfer who had been the Division II player of the year, Ryan Hawkins and I loved seeing how he helped solidify that team and made such an excellent transition from Div. II to Div. I basketball.

This year's team has a solid core of returning players: superb point guard Ryan Nembhard, his versatile guard mate, Trey Alexander, a blossoming forward, Arthur Kaluma, and a nimble and shot blocking center, Ryan Kalkbrenner. Once again, Creighton picked up a senior from a lesser level of college basketball, but at South Dakota State, Baylor Scheierman was the Summit League Player of the Year. In Creighton's win over Arkansas today, it looks like Scheierman is making a smooth transition to playing against tougher opponents and is fitting in well with his new teammates. (And, I'll add, he's a threat to score anywhere from one to forty+ feet from the tin.) 

I watched the second half of Creighton's win over Arkansas and it was a thrilling half of basketball: physical, fast, hard fought, intense, and superbly played. Creighton defeated the Razorbacks, 90-87, setting up a monster match up on Wednesday between Creighton and Arizona. 

Once the Creighton/Arkansas game ended, I gave my full attention to Bill Davie's Poetry Break. I don't know if he knows it, but, like Bill, my early experience enjoying poetry was greatly enriched by the work of James Wright and I thoroughly enjoyed the Wright poems Bill read. 

(One vivid memory returned: Phil Eaton read "A Blessing" to the Core 150 class and after reading the closing words, "Suddenly I realize/That if I stepped out of my body I would break/Into blossom", he let loose, without constraint, with his ecstatic and immortal words, "That's incredible! Ohhhhh! That's just incredible stuff! Man that's good! Ohhhh, my!" 

Phil Eaton introduced me to expressing spontaneous bliss at the conclusion of reading a poem and it has stayed with me for the past forty-five years or so.)

Bill not only put me back in touch with one of my favorite poets, he read some poems by a poet I'd never heard of named Crysta Casey. Her work was powerful, far ranging, imaginative, gripping, and authentic. 


No comments: