Thursday, October 3, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 10-03-2024: Lunch in Meacham, Gaming and Yakkin' in Ed's Room, Happy Hour Nachos and Generous Tipping

1.  After a morning drinking coffee, working word puzzles, and reading Michael Connelly's The Fifth Witness, I leapt behind the wheel of the Camry and drove Ed, Mike, and me out to Meacham, OR for lunch at the Oregon Trail Store and Deli. I ordered a terrific Patty Melt with a cup of homemade turkey soup. Ed and Mike loved their cheeseburgers and fries. We had a great time yakkin' with the deli's proprietor and talking amongst ourselves about this and that. Normally, we drive up to this off the beaten path gem of a diner for breakfast, but we changed things up today and we were very happy that we decided to have lunch instead. 

2. I decided to give the gaming floor one more try. I had some flashes of success, but never could build any momentum and, after a while, I retired, for this trip, from playing machines. Soon after leaving the floor, I joined Ed and Mike in Ed's room for some robust conversation while Ed and Mike enjoyed sipping a little whiskey.

3. After yakkin' for a while, Ed, Mike, and I moved our party to the Wildhorse Sports Bar for half price happy hour nachos. We continued our ongoing conversations and extended kindness and a nearly 100% tip  to our server who was friendly and sweet to us while working under very trying circumstances as part of an understaffed crew working a resort bar's happy hour. One of the things I really enjoy about joining my lifelong friends at the Wildhorse or when we go anywhere else is that all of us are generous tippers -- and all of us sympathize with and are patient with overworked servers and do all we can with kindness, patience, humor, and great (I hope) tips to try to make their work shifts less stressful. 


No comments: