Thursday, October 3, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 10-02-2024: Productive Day in My Room, Bookstore Run, Blackened Salmon at the Plateau

1. Along with being unlucky so far, my other reason for not spending much time gaming is that even with a mask on and wearing disposable vinyl (not latex) gloves, I am simply limiting my exposure to other people. 

So, today, I relaxed for quite a while in my room, doing my morning word puzzle routine, messaging with Stu and later in the evening, Alex, catching up on my blog, writing a bit to Colette about Leah Sottile's book list, enjoying a short exchange with Leah Sottile on Substack about her list (she gave me a book or two to add to it!), and preparing a document with the text of Saturday's Celebration of Life for Don Knott and sending it out to those who requested it. 

If you are reading this and would like a copy of the service (it doesn't include things said that weren't typed out), let me know. All I need is your email address. 

2. I knew that I'd neglected to bring a book with me to the resort, so I looked online to see if any bookstores were in business in Pendleton. An independent bookstore recently opened: Brett's Books. 

I decided it would be fun to drive into Pendleton and check out Brett's Books. 

It's funny. I had Michael Connelly in mind and quickly discovered that the store had quite a lineup of Connelly's novels. Almost randomly, I plucked one of Connelly's Lincoln Lawyer books off the shelf and I bought The Fifth Witness and read the first chapter before dinner. 

3. As is our tradition when we come to the Wildhorse Resort, Lars, Jake, Ed, Mike, and I sat down at a table at the Plateau Steakhouse. For the first time in the last many years of coming to the Plateau, I didn't order a steak. I opted for a delicious Blackened Salmon served on jasmine rice with a carrot puree and rosemary. I decided to go all out with eating fish and ordered a bowl of crab and corn chowder to start. 

It was a delicious meal and I enjoyed the table talk with my lifelong friends a lot. 

I ended this most satisfying day back in my room for a little bit of reading before dozing off for the night. 

No comments: