Saturday, October 5, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 10-04-2024: Leaving Pendleton, Returning to Kellogg, Enjoying *The Fifth Witness*

1. I sprang out of bed a bit early this morning to finish packing, take the car to the travel plaza near the resort to fuel up, do some word puzzles, and meet Ed and Mike in the hotel lobby. Back in April, we ended our time together at the Wildhorse with a delicious breakfast at Roosters Country Kitchen.

Our plan was to return. 

We arrived at Roosters this morning, however, they were closed because of a plumbing problem -- or so we heard that was the reason. 

Right down the street from Roosters sits a Denny's and we piled into a booth and agreed: our breakfasts were superb. I really enjoyed my fresh spinach, caramelized onion, mushroom, and Swiss cheese omelet. Ed and Mike ordered slams and were very happy. 

2. I enjoyed being away, talking with Colette, dining, relaxing in my hotel room, reading a Michael Connelly book (The Fifth Witness), taking a scenic drive to Meacham, and so on. I have decided to lay off alcohol for the time being -- I don't know if or when I'll drink it again -- and I missed having drinks at the steakhouse, drinking a beer or two at the lobby bar, and joining the guys for whiskey and b.s. in one of our rooms. 

I also enjoyed returning home. Copper has found a new source of contentment by curling himself in a laundry basket in my closet. Debbie fixed us a great meal of tilapia, yellow summer squash, and curry out of a Trader Joe's packet over rice. 

I enjoyed dining out while away, but home cooking is the best. 

3. Michael Connelly is an accomplished writer of highly readable crime stories, whether he's writing detective stories or legal fiction. As I move deeper into The Fifth Witness, I'm enjoying how chapter by chapter he introduces another complication in the case Mickey Haller has taken on and, in doing so, continues to add dimension to the characters involved. 

This is a murder story, so it's a dark story because of that. But it's not as dark and gruesome as, say, Lost Girls or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I am welcoming the relief from the grisliness of those novels.

I will, however, be returning to Leah Sottile's book list when I'm done with this novel -- and the books I have left to read will be dark. 

I know that!  

No comments: