Thursday, October 10, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 10-09-2024: Mandated Flu Shot, Cardboard Out, Eccentric Citizens of Savannah

1. My recent visit to the transplant clinic, on September 30th, included this conversation. My white blood cell count had been low and I wanted to make sure I didn't do something dumb. 

Me: Should I go in for a flu shot?

Dr. Murad: Yes! Absolutely! As soon as possible. But wait a couple of weeks or so after the flu shot for a Covid shot. Contact us before you go in for that shot and we'll review your blood work and tell you if the time is right for it. (Note: I have a clinic visit on Oct 28th. I'll discuss the Covid vaccination then.)

Me: Sounds good. 

I was leaving for the Wildhorse Resort the next day, so I didn't call the clinic uptown until Monday and made an appointment to get a flu shot today. 

It was easy and I was especially happy that the woman who vaccinated me was learning her job, so I got to be a part of her education. I always like being involved in sort of helping new professionals gain experience. And learn.

2. The cardboard had begun to pile up just a bit too much in the garage and so I loaded up the back of the  Sube and blasted out to the transfer station and tossed the boxes and other pieces in the cardboard bin. It is always a relief to me when I make the garage a bit tidier. 

3. As I reached about the halfway point of Chapter 6 of Part One of John Berendt's book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, I realized, in kind of a duh! moment, that Berendt devotes each chapter in Part One to a different eccentric Savannah resident. 

It's fun. 

Through his descriptions of and stories about these citizens, his portrait of Savannah itself fills out. 

My sense is that he is setting the foundation for a more dominating Savannah story to come -- maybe it will develop in Part Two of his book. 

I'll soon find out. 

No comments: