Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 10-08-2024: Blood Work and Ultrasound and Results, Blueberry Muffin and Hustling Back Home, Dreaming of a Return to Savannah

1. I hopped into the Camry at dark o'clock (6 am) this morning and soared into the metropolis of Spokane for another visit to the Sacred Heart Outpatient lab for bloodwork and, a bit later, to the Radiology department for an ultrasound of my new kidney. 

The blood work encouraged me. My creatinine levels continue to inch down, my white blood cell count is back in range, my potassium and magnesium levels stayed in range, and everything else, with one exception, was stable. 

Later in the day, my tacrolimus results parachuted into my smart phone. The transplant team would like to see the levels of this immunosuppressive drug be a bit higher in my bloodstream, so they made a small adjustment to my dosage. 

I'll be interested next week to see if or how much this slight increase in my tacrolimus dosage brings down my white blood cell count. My fingers are crossed that the white blood cell count will stay in range. 

The ultrasound results were positive, overall. The only small concern is with the pressure on my artery in the transplant area is.  When I take and log my blood pressure twice a day, if my systolic number consistently goes over 150, the team wants to know. So far, over the last twenty-one weeks since the transplant, this hasn't happened.  I'll have another ultrasound in a month as a way of keeping an eye on this arterial pressure. 

2. I left the Sacred Heart complex and roared straight to Great Harvest for a muffin and coffee. For about two seconds it dismayed me that Great Harvest wasn't selling Morning Glory muffins today, but, my slight disappointment gave way to joy when I saw they were selling Blueberry Oat muffins instead. 

Bliss. 

While out and about, I got word that Keith would be swinging by some time today to blow out our sprinkler system. I let him know I'd be back in Kellogg around 1:30 and then I hustled into Trader Joe's and grabbed a few items -- I didn't poke around like I often do -- and then rocketed downtown and picked up Fire Season,  a book I'd ordered from Auntie's Bookstore. 

I fueled up at Costco in CdA and arrived home ahead of Keith swinging by, which he did about an hour later, and our sprinkler system is ready to hibernate. 

Everything worked out just right. 

3. I'm very happy that I'm not getting distracted and that I'm moving further and further into Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I officiated Scott and Cate's wedding in Savannah back in 2016, in October, and this book moves me to want to go back. Thanks to John Berendt's book, I would see Savannah and its many squares with more informed eyes and it would be fun to trace the footsteps of this book's forays into Savannah. 

I enjoyed Savannah a lot in 2016,  even in my ignorance. Today, I can imagine travel scenarios that would get me there, especially because Debbie's cousin has a vacation condo in Hilton Head, SC, not far from Savannah. 

No comments: