Monday, October 14, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 10-13-2024: Nitty Gritty on ZOOM, Mural Restoration in N. Yorkshire, Superb Chicken Dinner

1. I joined Bill, Diane, and Bridgit on ZOOM this morning for a somber and often intense conversation largely focused on the complications that develop when a death occurs in a family. I involved myself in this discussion by listening and occasionally asking a question as the others talked about tensions between family members, financial complexities, thorny dilemmas, estate difficulties, grudges, settling old scores, and the exhaustion of taking care of business after a parent or a sibling dies. The discussion left me divided between feeling sorrow and frustration for my friends' trying circumstances, past and present, and feeling gratitude that my sisters and I navigated our mother's death so well.  

2.  Today, I started reading a book that is, so far, without assault, without violence, without a court trial.  It's a small book. Its title is A Month in the Country. It's about a physically and psychologically damaged WWI veteran who has taken a job in a small North Yorkshire village painstakingly uncovering a church building's medieval mural that has layer upon layer of paint and other obscuring materials hiding it. 

I'm not a hundred percent sure where this novel is going.  I'm not even ten percent sure. In fact, I have no idea.

3. Debbie fixed dinner again tonight. She dreamed up a way of baking chicken with surprising seasonings and made penne with red pepper pesto and a bean salad to go with the chicken. The chicken, pasta, and salad worked together flawlessly. Dinner deeply satisfied me.

No comments: