Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Three Beautiful Things 07-20-2026: Being Alive, Quinoa, Welcome Back Brenda Peterson

 1. The book Is a River Alive? has me rethinking what "being alive" means for a river that is not the same as what it means for a human. This is a brain scrambler. I'm so used to thinking of being alive as an individualistic concern. But how about if the world of nature is alive in ways that cannot be understood in a human being centered way, that is not individualistic but is relational. I'm far from having this concept nailed down, but this book is helping me think about rivers, the natural world of birds, animals, forests, and so on in expanded ways and I'm enjoying thinking about the idea of being alive with the natural world as the model for aliveness, not us, not humans. 

2. Today I discovered an unopened package of Trader Joe's Tri-Color Quinoa in a cupboard and visions of a leafless salad with pinto beans danced in my head. So I made just that and plan to augment it later with a wider variety of vegetables and add more beans if it seems right. I made a dressing of olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and a touch of honey. It all worked, but I will be looking for ways to improve it. 

3. Today I reread Brenda Peterson's essay from about thirty-five years ago entitled, "Living by Water." It appears in her book of the same title. As I read it again after all these years, I remembered how Peterson drew upon the Tao de Ching to elaborate upon the wonder of water, how it is at once gentle and nourishing as well as powerful and destructive. Central to her short essay, too, is the connectedness of all things. 

I've been sorting out, trying to remember what all I read back in my late thirties and early forties that makes what I'm reading now in Is a River Alive? seem familiar. 

Returning to Brenda Peterson's essays has turned out to be a good start in my efforts to remember back and recall what I've read and thought about over the decades regarding the natural world. 

(Hmmm. . . I'm wondering if Brenda Peterson's essay introduced me to the Tao, and, more specifically, Stephen Mitchell's translation of it. It's very possible.)

No comments: