1. I wrote yesterday that I didn't want to get into what I did on Sunday to start getting food ready for this evening's family dinner. I like to surprise Carol, Paul, and Christy.
On Sunday, I made a small batch of Kalamata olive hummus topped with diced sweet red pepper. I'd never heard of olive hummus, but when the recipe popped up during a search, it sounded fun and delicious. And simple. All I had to do was combine chickpeas, Kalamata olives, olive oil, and tahini in the blender and mix it all together. I didn't have any garlic on hand. I could have added that.
2. Why did I make hummus?
Back on July 9th, Liz, Jane, Joan, and I enjoyed a Cockroach Castle reunion at Daft Badger and I ordered a Chicken Souvlaki Wrap and I wanted to try to approximate it at home.
I didn't succeed. Why not? Well, I relied on my faulty memory and thought that the Daft Badger special was called simply a Mediterranean Wrap. I didn't look back at my blog entry about the wrap, so, from the get go, I was not preparing a Chicken Souvlaki Wrap.
Next time.
What I did make worked pretty well and here's what comprised this sandwich.
I warmed up a burrito sized flour tortilla -- actually three of them. Carol wanted her dinner not to include the flour tortilla. No problem.
I began by spreading Kalamata olive hummus on each tortilla.
Earlier in the day, I made and chopped up a batch of Greek yogurt with lemon juice chicken.
I topped the hummus with chopped Greek yogurt chicken.
I had an unused purple cabbage on hand and topped the chicken with chopped cabbage rather than buy romaine lettuce.
Earlier, I had also made a simple tomato slaw: sliced cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, and chopped red onion dressed with a small amount of red wine vinegar and olive oil. The slaw topped the cabbage.
I didn't add olives because of the olive hummus.
I did, however, add chopped artichoke hearts and the last ingredient was crumbled feta cheese.
I had watched a YouTube video that instructed me how to roll up a wrap and I did an adequate job.
I combined all the leftover ingredients I mentioned above in a bowl along with white rice and that became Carol's flour tortilla-free dinner.
We started our family dinner with a fun cheese: Smoked Gouda with Bacon. Carol made her always delicious Norwegian crisp seed crackers to eat with the cheese.
I purchased a pint of really fun Black Raspberry and Chocolate Chip Gelato for dessert.
3. Christy's condition was stable today. It's an improvement that she can rise out of a chair or from bed and stand, doing both with the support of the walker. She can get around by sitting on the walker's seat and scooting herself around (the walker has four wheels).
No comments:
Post a Comment