Friday, July 31, 2026

Three Beautiful Things 07-30-2026: Stronger, Handsome, Awe

 1. Christy continues to strengthen her leg muscles day to day as she exercises them.  She had a good PT session today. She's more mobile and she worked on stairs and more on how to get out of bed. 

Christy also saw her doctor this afternoon. Carol accompanied her and they both understand Christy's leg/hip situation better. Stay tuned.  When the time is right, and Christy has even more clarity on her situation, I'll provide more details. For now, suffice it to say things are better today than they were a week ago. 

2. Gibbs saw the groomer today and I thought when he got home that he had even more of a strut in his step than usual. 

3. As I get closer to finishing Is a River Alive?, two things are becoming clearer to me about my experience with rivers. 

First, from the time I was a youngster, I've seen something different from human aliveness in rivers. I can't call it a personality because what I've seen is unique to waterways and I'm not sure I know a word for it. 

I can say that this aliveness has awed me and the second thing that is becoming clearer to me is that out of this awe, I have, for the most part, stayed out of and off of rivers. I've only floated on a river about three times in my life. I have never fished a river. I was never one of the Silver Valley people who jumped off bridges into the North Fork of the CdA River. I have rarely gone swimming in any river. The awe I've felt has also triggered the illness I feel when rivers get degraded -- and this feeling goes all the way back to my earliest memories when the CdA River ran gray through the city of Kellogg.  

No comments: