Thursday, July 30, 2026

Three Beautiful Things 07-29-2026: Progress, Haircut, Rivers

 1. Christy, Carol, and Paul invited me over for a dish of ice cream at 6:30. For the first time in over two weeks or so, I saw Christy rise gingerly from her chair and, using the walker, walk out to the dining table and back to her chair. I learned she'd been able to do this throughout the day. Progress! 

2. I'd like to think I looked better coming out of Supercuts than when I walked in today. 

3. Reading Is a River Alive? has triggered a battery of questions, questions similar to the ones Rita and I raised with our students in the 1990s when we team taught philosophy and English composition. How do we arrive at the knowledge we think we have? What is the nature of reality? Given what we think we know and what we determine is reality, how do we determine what's right and wrong? Three pillars of philosophy: epistemology, metaphysics, and ethics. 

Not one of these pillars of philosophy is named in Is a River Alive?, but all three are at work in the book's discussions and stories about what we think we know about rivers, what the reality of a river might be (or realities), and how we determine how to care for rivers and how we decide to degrade them. 


No comments: