Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 02/27/07: North Idaho Memoir, Ride Home, Style

1. I overheard Annabelle say she loved the book "In the Wilderness", an assigned reading in WR 122. Every time I hear someone say he or she loves this book, I am warmed. Not only is in one of my favorite books, it is set in North Idaho and I am deeply heartened when a story from North Idaho touches any of my students.

2. One of my WR 115 students, Al, is a Colville Indian who has lived in the vicinity of Klamath Falls most recently. He is 35 years old and has returned to school this term. He needed a ride home after Jonah's memorial service and he told me many things about himself and his life that I very much enjoyed learning about.

3. I think that my students understood how the different styles Glenn Gould employed in playing the Goldberg Variations, first in 1955 and then in 1980 could be applied to how the same content makes a very different impact when written in different styles.

No comments: