Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Three Beautiful Things (02/07/07): Middle East Poetry, Mandy, Brown Out

1. Reading contemporary poetry of Israel and Palestine gave me and my students a way to understand life in these places in terms of the heart and of common human experience. This is a rare thing because so often the region is only looked at in terms of politics.

2. Mandy contributed brilliant comments today in class in response to the Buddhist metaphysics of *Into Thin Air* and in response to our class's study of Darcy's essay.

3. In our house this afternoon, we experience a brief time when we were inbetween having power and losing power. The electric light was brown. The quality of the light reminded me of the movie "Gaslight". It didn't last long. The power went out. It had returned by the time I got home from tonight's pick up rehearsal. But that inbetween time made me feel like I lived in a new, dimmer world.

No comments: