Thursday, March 1, 2007

Live Blog: My First Marmite Toast

On Friday, March 2, I am going to try Marmite for the first time in my life. I have been inspired by the blog(b) of Marmitetoasty to make the plunge and I will be able to declare, live, on my blog, upon taking my first bites of a piece of toast with a thin spread of Marmite whether I fall on the love Marmite side or the hate side. I hear no middle ground exists.

I plan to begin my live blog at 5:30 p.m. PST. Feel free to join me and I'll do my best to put this momentous rite of passage from Marmite innocence to Marmite experience into as clear and accurate of prose as I can muster on the spot.

Please feel free, as my blog dispatches come over the wireless Internet, to comment with encouragement and questions.


2 comments:

Rick Wainright said...

Remember the Men at Work song, Down Under. They refer to a vegemite sandwich.

Vegemite Sandwich - Vegemite is a fermented yeast spread that is pretty much a national institution in Australia. Some people love it and can't start the day without a piece of toast spread with Vegemite, and some go so far as to carry a small jar of it with them when they travel overseas. Some are indifferent to it, and others can't stand it. It kind of resembles smooth black tar, and is similar in taste to the English "Marmite," But Aussies will always tell you that Vegemite is far superior.

Katrina said...

So is marmite a savory taste, then? I had been laboring under the misapprehension that it was something sweet (probably due to its similarity to the word "marmelade," I suspect.)

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. And where does one lay hold of a jar of marmite, anyway?