Saturday, March 24, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 03/24/07: Lost, Late, Bruins

1. Russell, Dave, and I had plans to meet at the Steelhead, a local tavern. I sat at a table and waited for them. And waited. I had a Diet Pepsi. I had another. I waited. UCLA and Kansas were well into their contest when I decided to go ahead and eat. I wondered what happened. I ate a salad. I ate twelve delicious Buffalo wings. I looked up after I ate and there was Russell.
"Are you here?"
"Yeah. "
"You just get here?" Russell asked.
"No. I got here at 3:30."
"We did, too."
"What?"
"We're over in that part."
Shit. I thought that part of the tavern open to the outdoors was a smoking area. I didn't think Russell and David could be there.

But they were.

We enjoyed the last five minutes of the game together.

2. Late papers keep flying in over the email. This is my favorite time of the school quarter to read papers. I can take my time and enjoy them because classes are done meeting. It's been a pleasure. Hey! I think another paper came in. I'll finish them all tomorrow.

3. Thirty, thirty-five, forty years ago I was a devoted UCLA fan. I can't feel the same way about UCLA now that I did in junior high, high school, and college, but I sure enjoyed watching the Bruins dismantle Kansas today. Aggressive defense, quick hands, double teams, steals, and just enough great perimeter offense to frustrate the Jayhawks and send them packing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't talk shit on Kansas RP!!! They are good!!! LMAO!!! I will let it by if you can tell me what a Jayhawk is?!

MarmiteToasty said...

OK thats sort of well funny, being in the same pub at the same time and both thinking the other aint turned up........ glad ya got to talk though or ya would of been mad inside thinking the other didnt bother :)

x

Rick Wainright said...

We were UCLA fans back in the day because one of our classmates, Terry Turner, was Denny Crum's half-brother.

raymond pert said...

When Denny's first Louisville team went to the Final Four in 1972, Terry and I went to LA to see North Carolina, Florida State, Louisville, and UCLA battle it out.

It was awesome.