Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Three Beautiful Things 11/20/12: Pieces of April, After the Deluge, Pieces of Chicken


1.  My students in WR 115 handed in their third project paper today and I'm not assigning their last essay until next Tuesday, so we had a free day and I showed one of my favorite movies of all time:  "Pieces of April". It tied back to questions we looked at earlier in the term about happiness and basic desires and, even more, it is a perfect comedy (in the Old School sense of the word), a perfect movie about people helping each other and coming together, not only to enjoy a feast, but to help bring union to a broken family.  It's edgy, unsentimental, and very, very moving.  I loved watching it twice and was very happy for my students who took the option to stay in class and watch it.  (I'm actually happy, also, for students who were under pressure from other courses that they took the time to go study and work on other stuff -- they all seemed under the math gun.)

2.  We had a big rain storm last night and I had a great time, a really fun time taking pictures that captured darkness, wetness, need for unplugging street drains of leaves, and the desolation I saw. Since the storm was not even close to being a big event like Sandy, I gave it a cute name, which is also our mayor's name, Kitty.  I experimented a bit with shooting out of focus, like in this shot:


3.  The Deke was grading papers at her office, which most people know as Cornucopia, and she offered to bring home some food and I request Buffalo Wings and a sixer of Hefeweizen.  The wings were splendid and the one beer I drank refreshed me and paired perfectly with the hot wings. 




No comments: