Friday, November 16, 2012

Three Beautiful Things 11/15/12: Happy Instructor, Christina's Stout, The Woodmans

1.  I went to school a bit earlier than usual to read WR 115 revisions and in-class writings.  I have a core number of students in each section who are working diligently to read better, write better analysis of what they read, and to extrapolate the ideas from what they read and apply them to their own experience or that of others.  Their diligence, their progress, their good spirits, their pleasing company makes me happy.

2.  I ate too much this afternoon around 2:00 at the Rogue Public House and didn't eat another bite for the rest of the day.  I didn't drink too much, though.  The brewer at Rogue Public House is Christina and she makes great beer -- today I tried a pint of her Roasted Oatmeal Stout and I'll be back for more, maybe even a growler, so the Deke and I can enjoy its toasty, rich, coconuttiness at home.

3.  Recently, I'd heard and read about the provocative photographer Francesca Woodman.  I've also looked at many of her unusual and sometimes unsettling pictures.  This evening I watched the documentary film, "The Woodmans", a story devoted to Woodman's art as well as to her 1981 suicide and the lives of her brother and parents afterward.  Perplexing, complex people.  Other more emotionally transparent friends of Francesca Woodman are also featured.  I enjoy documentaries that present people's memories, thoughts, and feelings, that give us images and documents, but really explain nothing, come to no definitive conclusion.  That was my experience with "The Woodmans".

No comments: